Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Ultimate 32Bit- Frezing Solid Intermitently

• Please log in to reply

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
The reason I do not think it is a power issue (and I could be mistaken) is that the computer only freezes up when I am not running something. So if I am running eve online which brings my GPU useage up to 99% or I am running a bitcoin miner which bring all my CPU usage up to 99% I do I not experience these hangs/freezes. The only way I have been avoiding the hangs as of late is keeping EVE running at all times. On days where I dont leave it running I awaken to a frozen computer.

So hypothetically speaking if it was a power issue would it not be most problems when I was running alot of stuff?

Also I have set all my RAM settings in bios to the default.

Edited by Aaron Bongart, 15 February 2012 - 05:45 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
This is with respect hard work.
Have you run with ONLY one stick of ram.
TRY IT

Then if that works, try running with the two, but NOT in dual channel.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try disabling hibernate and standby...also set screensaver to never...

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
One of the first things I did was disable hibernate and screensaver.

I will try with one stick when I have the opportunity I have college stuff I need to do right now.

Edited by Aaron Bongart, 15 February 2012 - 04:15 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Macboatmaster has kindly reminded me that you are using an APC back up system, can you try connecting the PSU to another outlet on the unit, if no change try another wall socket, if still no change try another wall socket minus the APC, meanwhile I will leave you in the more than capable hands of Macboatmaster to check your Ram and slots.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I started back at the beginning and these are a few things I thought were pertinent..

did you do anything I asked you to do in post number 28

Disable the “WMI Performance Adapter

I can run SFC all day and it will always have files fixed. I don't think it actually works to be honest.

thats not good...try running chkdsk /r until it no longer has to fix anything ...then running SFC again

It's the files that it does not fix that we were planning to replace or fix.

do you remember the names...

The more I think about it my OS only started to show signs of corruption after I installed like 20 different language packs with windows update. IT was only after that event that windows update started failing to be able to instal any more critical updates. It was at that point in time when my OS gradually started to misbehave.

uninstall all of them

I am not sure if this helps but I attempted to run defrag even though it says my system is not in need of a defrag and it first took 13 seconds and then said my system did not need to be defraged. Like it was bugged or something and was not going through the motions it should. Then I clicked it again and it started defragging and it took all day and all night only to reach the point were it told me my system did not need to be defraged.

something really wrong with that
download Auslogics Disk Defrag here...install and run it

NOTHING is overclocked... EVERYTHING is default settings with the exception of the RAM settings in bios are configured to the specification that my RAM suggests to configure it to

set the ram to auto in the bios
I do not think that the video card is the culprit only because the problems started BEFORE I upgraded the video card. The problems also started BEFORE the new PSU.

So I have replaced pretty much everything but the OS, when I have free time I may just get a junk hard drive and instal vista on it then leave it running idle and see if it hangs like my current set up does when I dont have stuff running in the backround.

did you ever do this...if so what happened

Yes and I also had an histachi deskstar that lasted 2 and a half years before it failed back when they were known to fail within the first year 50% of the time.

that just means you were lucky back then...it means nothing today

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Sorry for my late response.

Yes I already did that new defrag things and it completed just fine.
I also set RAM to AUTO in bios.

I still am having the hangs.
Sorry if I missed any specific instruction or advice I am trying to keep track of what everybody is telling me.
I also do not know how to uninstall language packs. Otherwise I would have uninstalled the ones I did not need.

The next thing on my list to try and moving to a different plug in my battery backup.

Also chckdsk found no errors to fix. So I see no point in running that over and over. SFC logs ARE posted somewhere in this thread so you can see the file that is not being fixed.

I deeply appreciate the continued advice and help with my issue.

Edited by Aaron Bongart, 18 February 2012 - 04:39 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry to labour the point but have you tried with ONLY on stick of ram.
Also have you tried the other matters mentioned by my colleague
one of which I think was disable hibernation etc.
amd of course the latest from my colleague happyrock

It MAY be easier and we do appreciate how difficult it is for you if you were to try each suggestion and then report what happens, with the BSOD error and the event log ERROR

It is I think VITAL that you try each as ONE at a time and then test for IF you make three or four changes, we will NEVER know on which ONE it still fails

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Well I already disabled Hibernation a long time ago. No change in hangs.
I have already uploaded the minidumps from the blue screens I have experienced.
My event log does NOT show errors or anything of note in the time frame when the system hangs.

I will try with one stick of RAM when I get a chance. I will see if that effects anything. Although I doubt it will. I seriously doubt RAM I bought at staples for 84$ is going to be the culprit.

I do think this idea about switching plugs may lead to something so next time I shut off my computer I will do that.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
How to remove a language pack

Click Start...
click Control Panel
click Clock, Language, and Region...
click Regional and Language Options, and then click Change display language.
On the Keyboard and Languages tab, click Install/uninstall languages under Display language.
User Account Control permission
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
In Choose to install or remove languages, click Remove languages.
Under Select the languages that you want to remove, select the language that you want to remove, and then click Next.
Click the language that you want to remove, and then click Remove.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The fact you bought the ram from Staples or indeed from any particular retailer is absolutely irrelevant to the issue .

We are now on post 71.

BACK on post 34 I first asked about the ram.
On post 36 I asked which PNY ram please provide full specification.

I MAY HAVE missed it, but I do not think so. we still DO NOT HAVE those details

If I have missed it I apologise.

On post 40 I sent you this

HOWEVER the PNY memory configurator for that board lists these as the suitable ram
http://www.pny.fr/m/...y_configurator/

DIM102GBN/10660/3CBX the 2Gb

DIM101GBN/10660/3CBX the 1Gb

On post 42 I mentioned that there was a BIOS update for improved compatability with ram.
I stressed that I was NOT suggesting a BIOS update (BIOS flash) at that time.

SINCE all of this, in respect of my suggestions, you have made little or INDEED no progress.
In fact with respect, even obtaining the information has been unnecessarily hard work.

I also asked which graphics card was installed., pointing out that the Nvidia was simply the detection of the Nvidia GPU on the card.
We now know it is an EVGA card, but you say it is a 3Gb EVGA model

NEITHER myself nor my colleague phillpower2 have been able to locate such a card.
At the start of this topic you posted

ALL the Hardware in my computer is BRAND NEW

It is surprising that you are not able to simply post the EXACT model of the EVGA graphics
The exact specification of the PNY ram.

Finally from me YOU may well be proved correct - it may prove NOT to be a ram issue.

There is one aspect that comes to my notice

The reason I do not think it is a power issue (and I could be mistaken) is that the computer only freezes up when I am not running something

When YOU are not using the computer - what is running - ONLINE backup by any chance.
OR examine your power settings - Control panel, power options, balanced power plan, advanced settings, then expand the items and check what is configured for USB - ensure usb ports to which connections are made are not allowed to be turned off.

Also I know you say you have covered it put ensure that SLEEP, HYBRID SLEEP and HIBERNATION are NEVER in those advanced settings, expand the SLEEP and then on each entry expand that and you then have the options with the drop arrow to the right.

I have decided to leave the thread until and IF you try the ram with one stick as I asked.
and until you tell us exactly which specification of PNY ram and which EVGA card.

I

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
As suggested I changed my plug to a different location on the backup power supply I also replaced the entire power cord itself with a brand new one fresh out of the box.

I am sorry that I have been unable to provide the exact specification of my RAM. I did ask if there was some way I could find out this information and nobody has mentioned (unless I missed it) a way to SCAN or something to find out the exact specs of my RAM.

The video card is in fact a 560 Ti from EVGA. However keep in mind the problems I am experiencing started BEFORE I installed this new video card. It was given to me as a gift so I do not know where from it was purchased. I remember it being 3 gbs of memory it might be 2.5 gbs I could be off. However I think its a non-issue because the problem started happening BEFORE I even had the new video card.

I realize that this must be very frustrating for everybody involved. I am doing my best to fit in recommendations with the HEAVY use of computer for college related activities.

http://www.evga.com/...ries Family&sw= <-- this is the card I showed my parents. I do not know if they bought me the EXACT same one or a different one.

After waiting and waiting the uninstaller tells me that the only language it was able to remove was arabic. Maybe I need to uninstall them one at a time, I am not sure.

At 3:03 pm the computer hanged while I was at college. I know it was at that time because thats what it was frozen at.

So it appears changing the plug and power cord had no effect on the problem.

Edited by Aaron Bongart, 22 February 2012 - 04:01 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Aaron Bongart

It is now some five days since your last post.
Have you managed to make any progress
Would you kindly update your thread.
Thank you

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Sorry I was editing my older post rather than double posting. Tried one stick of ram. and let my computer run without useing it and I still had the hang. Then tried other stick and same problem.

I also tried switching plugs for the battery backup and replacing the power cord of the computer itself and changing the location of that plug in the battery backup.

What else should I try?

As I said in the above post I am not having much luck with uninstalling the language packs.

This is really frustrating but at least I can prevent the issue from happening the 99% of the time by just letting EVE run maximized in the backround. Still not sure why the computer only hangs when I am not running a game or a bit coin miner. But so far thats the largest diagnostic lead I can think of right now. Unless you guys know something I don't.

Edited by Aaron Bongart, 25 February 2012 - 09:31 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you try to just leave it running a different OS, like Puppy Linux or something? You can just boot it off the disc and leave it. I'm beginning to think this is a problem that a fresh install would fix.