Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Ultimate 32Bit- Frezing Solid Intermitently

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I have since you posted READ the whole thread.

I think it is an issue that PNY and MSI may best advice on and perhaps EVGA

I opine that the answer lies with settings in the BIOS.

With the best will in the world and NEVER wanting to surrender, I do not think we can run any other test or make any other suggestion.

If it was me I would consult with MSI PNY and EVGA

NOTE
Posted whilst the previous from my colleague Troy was not visible.
A first class suggestion. :thumbsup: which I had not thought of.

Advertisements

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Can you try to just leave it running a different OS, like Puppy Linux or something? You can just boot it off the disc and leave it. I'm beginning to think this is a problem that a fresh install would fix.

I am also starting to think this, however I want to avoid a fresh install if at all possible.
I may just try upgrading to 7 Ultimate and hope that whatever parts of my OS that are borked and busted get overridden or replaced during the upgrade.

I might also try running a different OS.

I might also try resetting my BIOS

I just wish Windows 7 Ultimate was not so darn expensive. You would think the price would go down with 8 comming out soon.

Edit: Assuming it is a problem a fresh install would fix than what would the source of said problem be? SFC obviously is junk and never actually repaired anything because it can be repeated with the same outcome. So what would I do to find the core cause?

Edited by Aaron Bongart, 27 February 2012 - 09:27 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
TRY the Linux based boot and leave it running as Troy has said
You do not need to install the Linux on the HDD, just boot it from the CD

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok I will try that.
I also just bought windows 7 ultimate.
So whatever happens I will have a backup plan.

If it is the OS I can upgrade and hope it fixes it or just install 7 64 bit and start over.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Good Luck please let us know.

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Install took ALL DAY LONG! But.. it went just fine otherwise. I still have all my files and everything because I chose upgrade. I am going to leave it running tonight and see if it hangs.

Hopefully it does not hang.

Edit: Still hangs... Same problem...

I guess I will have to just keep EVE running whenever i go to sleep. This really sucks but at least I can somewhat control when it happens.

Edited by Aaron Bongart, 02 March 2012 - 05:25 AM.

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
On a sadder note.

Skyrim and eve no longer work since the upgrade...

So much for being user friendly.

edit: got skyrim to work by forcing it to run as admin but eve is still not working. The repair tool for eve gives me an error

DBPermissionsError: (1, 'Operation not permitted')

hmm frustrating.;..

Edit: I am just reinstalling EVE. hopefully that will fix it. However I wish I could figure out what was causing these hangs.

Edited by Aaron Bongart, 02 March 2012 - 09:20 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Install took ALL DAY LONG!

was that just for the OS or the OS and all your programs...
installing windows should/usually only takes a couple of hours

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I chose the "upgrade" option.

So it had to transfer all my files and expand features or whatever it calls it. I finally got EVE to work. Everything else seems to be working fine with the exception of the hangs that happen at night when I dont leave something running.

It can't be the OS it has to be something else. but what could it be?

I have about given up at this point. At least I can control somewhat when it happens.

Edited by Aaron Bongart, 02 March 2012 - 07:31 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Do you have a spare hard drive? Or can you get one (even borrow one) just to test a fresh install?

Advertisements

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
that is next on my list of things to do. I will need to save up some money because windows 7 was pricy. Upgrading to 7 fixed ALOT of my problems with windows updates and various other anomalies. So right now the ONLY thing going wrong is the hangs.

So yes I will save up and buy another HD and fresh install onto that and see if it still hangs when left alone.

If it does than what would that mean?
If it does not than what would that mean?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Just an idea that MAY be WORTH trying

although I cannot actually remember now if you have already done so.

As you say it ONLY occurs if EVE, is not running although I suspect any RUNNING application would have the same effect, AND you now have another operating system installed, UNLESS it is the hard drive,
I would disconnect EVERYTHING other than monitor, keyboard and mouse.

I would the try it without EVE running

If it still occurs I would reconnect everything you had connected, go to Control Panel Power options and on balanced plan - presuming that is what it is on (Desktop) I would then click on change plan settings and set NEVER for turn of display and Put to sleep.
Click change advanced power settings and then on the window that opens
HARD DISK - turn off select NEVER
Wireless adaptor - MAXIMUN performance - if you have it in use
USB Selective suspend - disabled
PCI Exppress - MODERATE POWER SAVING
PROCESSOR POWER MANAGEMENT - minimum PROCESOR State - default on 7 is 5% - if that is yours increase to 10

Click Apply and OK
If you have already set other than defaults you may wish to note the present settings before you change.

NOW TRY WITHOUT the EVE running.
IF and I admit it is a rather large IF this should be successful, then clearly you need to reset one at a time and try to establish which was the cause.

There is one other aspect that comes to mind - Screensaver - your pictures by any chance.?

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Did all that already.. no effect.

I have no screensaver of any kind. The only thing that happens after long periods of inacctivity is the login screen comes up. The computer can freeze during and not during the login screen.

You mention it could be the hard drive... what would indicate that? The drive is brand new. And speedfan says the smart status all checks out green and in the safe ranges.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I do not think I mentioned the hard drive, did I, in respect of a defect.
The last mention I saw of hard drive was from my colleague Troy, who I think was suggesting it from ONLY the aspect of a clean install

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

The last mention I saw of hard drive was from my colleague Troy, who I think was suggesting it from ONLY the aspect of a clean install

:spoton: That is spot on my friend, and with a spare drive to use for the test clean install it allows for the current setup to stay intact and just be unplugged temporarily.