Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't reach files on Windows 7, old laptop had windows vista

• Please log in to reply

DanteAlighieri

DanteAlighieri

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello,

In October I got a new computer and the process began, I started removing and moving files and stuff. I had a HP Pavilion with Windows Vista. I moved all files from that laptop to my protable memory. When I then put this memory in my new Windows 7 Dell XPS the files won't work. I can see the pictures, movies, documents and everything else being there, but I can't play or see them.

I think about 1,5 years ago I wanted to protect my files so I downloaded a program that locked certain files, but I don't think I used it on my whole computer.

Do you guys know what my problem might be?

Cheers!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you get any error messages? Access denied?

If so, try taking ownership of the files and folders. The easiest way to do this is to add a
Take Ownership Shortcut to the right click Context Menu.

DanteAlighieri

DanteAlighieri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
No, I get nothing. I can't play the files at all and nothing shows up.

I'll try take ownership and then get back to you. Cheers!

DanteAlighieri

DanteAlighieri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I have tried taking ownership, and it doesn't work. When I double click a movie it says "VLC couldn't read the file"

Have any other tips on what might be wrong?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you locked/encrypted those files while on the other computer then the only way I know to fix that is to use the same method to unlock/decrypt them while they are still on the other computer.

Once you do that then you can copy them to your external drive and move them to the new computer again.

DanteAlighieri

DanteAlighieri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Actually I never think I locked them or encrypted them. When I started Folder Lock on the old computer (the map lies in the external drive) it asked me to set a new password. I just removed Folder Lock.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Can you copy one of the files VLC won't open to your hard drive somewhere just as a test.

What happens if you try to open it with Windows Media Player. The one in Windows 7 is very good and handles most types of video files. I don't even have VLC installed on my Win 7 computers.