Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 different pcs won't' READ my Samsung HDD and they say it'

• Please log in to reply

carol.lopes

carol.lopes

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a samsung 500gb external hard drive, which is almost full, and now both my computers (windows vista) can't read it. when i connect the HDD to any of the computers, that box with options of tasks doesn't appear, but the HDD light is working normally.

the HDD is listed as Local Disk (G:) and not as Samsung (G:) as it used to be, and when i try to open it, windows says "format the disk at unit G to be able to use it". and i certainly don't want to format, because i don't want to lose almost 500gb of data.
when i open disk management, it's listed as volume (G:), and it say it's online and working normally....also it appears as empty, as if 100% of the HDD is free to use... if i click with the right button, the hdd has no name. also, if i ran a scan with kaspersky, it says there are 12 objects in the HDD!! do you think i lost everything that i had inside it??
i don't know what else i can tell you, so i'm sending a printscreen of the disk management, don't know if it helps, it's in portuguese, sorry.

thank you very much.

Attached Thumbnails

• print.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts
What happens when you overfill a HDD is the data becomes corrupt, try using some recovery software to retrieve your data http://www.snapfiles...tarecovery.HTML try Recuva first as it has a high success rate.