Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP - BSoD problems

• Please log in to reply

Denis Fajković

Denis Fajković

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi..
I'm new here, so I hope I didn't do anything wrong here...

These are my sytem spec.

Attached File  System report.txt   26.74KB   182 downloads

I have constant problems with BSoD...
I suspect that my hard is in bad condition, and probably RAM but i'm not asking about this...
but let me hear what you have to say about crashes...

This are crash reports:

On Wed 11.1.2012 0:25:17 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini011112-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x24672E)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFF7BFF925, 0xFFFFFFFFA6E402E4, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 285.58
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 285.58
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 285.58 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Tue 10.1.2012 21:02:25 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini011012-05.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x606BA)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x99, 0x23631, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 10.1.2012 17:21:48 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini011012-04.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: npfs.sys (Npfs+0x5F1C)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFFF7C0CF1C, 0xFFFFFFFFB759DAB4, 0x0)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\npfs.sys
description: NPFS Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 10.1.2012 11:03:12 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini011012-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x98910)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF8056F910, 0xFFFFFFFFB754DC7C, 0x0)
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 10.1.2012 8:44:14 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini011012-02.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41284, 0x4A2A001, 0x1AAB, 0xFFFFFFFFC0503000)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

On Tue 10.1.2012 7:29:36 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini011012-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: eamon.sys (eamon+0x1B052)
Bugcheck code: 0x24 (0x1902FE, 0xFFFFFFFFB7AEDF74, 0xFFFFFFFFB7AEDC70, 0xFFFFFFFF80551AE2)
Error: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\eamon.sys
product: ESET Smart Security
company: ESET
description: Amon monitor
Bug check description: This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: eamon.sys (Amon monitor, ESET).
Google query: eamon.sys ESET NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

On Mon 9.1.2012 16:56:17 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini010912-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x40F7B)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0x28, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF80517F7B)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR

On Mon 9.1.2012 6:39:26 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini010912-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x99, 0x210A6, 0x3, 0x0)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer.

Edited by Denis Fajković, 10 January 2012 - 06:55 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Check you r hard drive and your RAM.

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that.

Denis Fajković

Denis Fajković

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Check you r hard drive and your RAM.

Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

Download Memtest86+ (you want the 2nd one Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)). Unzip it then create a CD from the iso file using your CD burning software. There is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do this easily.

DO NOT burn the .iso file directly to CD. It must be used as input to a program that knows what to do with it, like the one I mentioned above.

Boot the CD and run for at least 3 complete passes unless it shows errors sooner than that.

Tnx for the answer
I'll try this tmw and give feedback...

and I know how to burn ISO ;)

Denis Fajković

Denis Fajković

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I checked my HDD with Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows v1.24
and it seems OK...
I did this while I was logged in Windows...is it maybe better to do this with boot from CD before system starts??
Later I will do this with boot from CD, probably better then this...

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WDC WD2500JS-00MHB0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WCANK6406946
Firmware Number: 02.01C03
Capacity: 250.06 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 13:06:54, January 11, 2012

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WDC WD2500JS-00MHB0
Unit Serial Number: WD-WCANK6406946
Firmware Number: 02.01C03
Capacity: 250.06 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: PASS
Test Time: 14:29:27, January 11, 2012

S.M.A.R.T.

Posted Image

Edited by Denis Fajković, 11 January 2012 - 04:15 PM.

Denis Fajković

Denis Fajković

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Just tested my RAM

1st pass it was all OK, no errors...
2nd pass there were some errors

here is date that memtest showed

Failing Address: 00026061a90 -608.3MB
Good: 00000100
Bad: 00000300
Err-Bits: 00000200
Count: 1
Chan:

Failing Address: 0003ab61520 -939.3MB
Good: 00200000
Bad: 04200000
Err-Bits: 04000000
Count: 2
Chan:

Delbrugge

Delbrugge

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thing to do now would be to try to isolate the RAM stick that is bad. Only keep one in at a time while running memtest

Denis Fajković

Denis Fajković

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thing to do now would be to try to isolate the RAM stick that is bad. Only keep one in at a time while running memtest

Yes, that's the plan but first i'm going to check HDD again from boot...

And what about this BSoD reports??
they include problems about ESET, NVIDIA driver and Windows

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If you have defective RAM then errors can popup anywhere. I wouldn't worry about the BSOD reports until after you've isolated and replaced the defective RAM.

From the error addresses, it looks like you have 1GB of ram in two 512MB modules and the error is in the 2nd module. When you look at the system board they are usually counted left to right with the lowest address be to the left.

I also don't think it's necessary to run DLG from a boot disc. Won't hurt but I doubt it will show any more errors than the run under Windows did.

Denis Fajković

Denis Fajković

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

If you have defective RAM then errors can popup anywhere. I wouldn't worry about the BSOD reports until after you've isolated and replaced the defective RAM.

From the error addresses, it looks like you have 1GB of ram in two 512MB modules and the error is in the 2nd module. When you look at the system board they are usually counted left to right with the lowest address be to the left.

I also don't think it's necessary to run DLG from a boot disc. Won't hurt but I doubt it will show any more errors than the run under Windows did.

Tnx alot for all this instructions...
I'll check both modules separately to see which one is really broken (probably 2nd one as you say)
Probably going to buy 2x1GB RAM...

Will it be a problem if I buy 800MHz modules 2x1GB, and my motherboard supports max. 667MHz???

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need to buy ram that will work. I would recommend going to crucial.com and running the System Scanner. It's below the blue window stuff.

It will tell you exactly what you need. They also sell RAM at very reasonable prices. I buy most (not all) of mine there, probably because I'm lazy.

Denis Fajković

Denis Fajković

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

You need to buy ram that will work. I would recommend going to crucial.com and running the System Scanner. It's below the blue window stuff.

It will tell you exactly what you need. They also sell RAM at very reasonable prices. I buy most (not all) of mine there, probably because I'm lazy.

Woouuu....tnx man... :)

But this is only for US?
Doesn't support my country...

Edited by Denis Fajković, 11 January 2012 - 08:10 PM.