Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Another <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll File Missing

• Please log in to reply

Owen Davies

Owen Davies

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

Firstly apologies as there are hundreds of these topics but the answers provided in them have not help me. Here's the background:

My uncle asked me to look at his computer base (emachines 5250, 512 ram, 160 hdd, intel pentimento 4 processor 515 running windows xp home edition). He explains it that he was transferring files from this base unit to a laptop using a memory stick, after transferring all his email across he shut the computer down for the night next day turns it on and finds a black screen saying <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll - please reinstall a copy or this file.

Before I looked at the computer he rang me and I asked him to try and load in safe mode F8 at startup in the end he tried all of the options last known good configuration with no luck. I took the base unit off him expecting to remove the hdd connect it to my caddy, plug into my computer recover his personal details then try and reinstall the file. On connecting to my computer the drives installed and were showing up in my computer but with no information about size of the drive and you were unable to open them. I put it back in his mAchine and started following suggested solutions from Microsoft and this website. Options I tried are below:

Check boot.ini - cannot access it from cmd files not their and won't let me create new one
Use cmd to expand Hal.dl off recovery cd and overwrite system file I won't find the system file
Removing attrib from system files and bootcfg /rebuild says unable to do it
I have also tried chkdsk I took 2 days returned and said the disk was fine restart but same error

All I need to do is remove his personal files and then he's happy to do a fresh install or buy a new hdd but the documents are vital if can be recovered. My next step is the local shop but ideally I'd rather someone tell me it seems knackersd than pay someone over the odds to confirm it.

Any help is much appreciated!!!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome,

You should be able to see the drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic. They usually have a bootable disc that you can run a scan on - run a non-destructive diagnostic and let me know if it passes or fails.

Cheers

Owen Davies

Owen Davies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Posted Image

This is what I got when I used the manufacturer's diagnostic. Looks bad to me.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 12 January 2012 - 12:33 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
No, unfortunately it does not look good. However I would also run Seatools for Dos.
It provides that confirmation, or otherwise that the drive is faulty and running outside of windows, it eliminates any possible errors resulting from windows.. However unlikely those are to cause the Extended test failure.

I see you were running Seatools as the generic test if you know the make of drive - have a look in device manager, you are always best running the specific drive test.
Only a very few manufacturers do not provide one.

Rgearding Data recovery
It is extremely unlikely that if the drive could not be opened on the other computer, that you will have a great deal of success.

However as to recovering this is worth a try.

http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

Follow the instructions in the guide please.

You need to make the CD using the special burning software as it is an Iso image.
You also need the computer booting from the CD
When you open the link you will see that it directs you to download
Puppy Linux 520.iso.

However there is a new edition and the link in the guide will not take you direct to the 520..
HERE IS the link to that one in the guide.
http://ftp.nluug.nl/....2/lupu-520.iso
Then please just follow the guide.

Owen Davies

Owen Davies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I had tried every option and that was just the one I took a screen shot of. I missed out of first post that a friend of mine directed me towards Parted Magicwhich I tried with no luck, it seen the disk but that was it wouldn't open it at all. Can I assume the software you have suggested is working on the same principal as it too run from the RAM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If you have tried the disk check in Dos mode and it fails, then it certainly looks as though the drive is beyond repair.

You need to do as I suggested
1. Ascertain the make of drive and run if possible the dedicated utility for that drive

2. See if you can get your data off with Puppy.
It also has the added advantage that if Puppy will load it is a resoanble check although not conclusive of ram - as it runs in ram. your motherboard and graphics.

3. I would urge you, but the decision is yours of course to stay with just the advice here at the moment.

The time to try other suggestions is when we have done all we can.

Owen Davies

Owen Davies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'll look at number 2 in the morning I'm lost on number 1 as I downloaded seagate as that was the make of the drive?

As for 3 I'm grateful for the help and will be staying here until we can't work it out or find out its knackered!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
On your screnshot in post 3.
The top listed drive is an Hitachi Deskstar. That is the HDT722525DLA380 which as far as I can ascertain is 250Gb, so which drive is that please
and which drive on your screenshot is the 160 HDD you mention in your opening post please.

I cannot decipher the details of the drive that failed on the long generic test
HAVE YOU TESTED the drive with Windows installed normally the C drive.

Owen Davies

Owen Davies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

On your screnshot in post 3.
The top listed drive is an Hitachi Deskstar. That is the HDT722525DLA380 which as far as I can ascertain is 250Gb, so which drive is that please
and which drive on your screenshot is the 160 HDD you mention in your opening post please.

I cannot decipher the details of the drive that failed on the long generic test
HAVE YOU TESTED the drive with Windows installed normally the C drive.

The hard drive with the box around it is the failing drive, it is in a usb caddy hence being down the list. I am doing those test running windows 7 on my computer with the 160gb hard drive in the usb caddy.

Owen Davies

Owen Davies

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No luck with puppy took about 5 minutes to try and open followed by a red box saying unable to mount drive.

Thanks for your help, my uncle is collecting it today not sure what he plan is but I'm going to tell him in my opinion it's passed my ability.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
My advice would be to place the suspect drive in the Emachines computer in its bay and then run the Seagate test again.

Will PUPPY boot the emachines computer?