Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New CPU on Old Motherboard HELP !

• Please log in to reply

dark_ages

dark_ages

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi i hope someone can give me a hand

I am not so good with building computers so I was thinking of upgrading my old one.

So I have at the moment AMD Athlon™ II X2 240 Processor on ASRock N68-S Motherboard is there a chance to replace it with any of these on the same motherboard or i'll need a new one ?

A6 3670 Quad Core (2.7GHz, 4MB L2, AMD HD 6530D GPU, 100W, FM1)
Phenom II X4 840 Quad Core (3.2GHz, 2MB L2, 95W, AM3)
FX-4100 Quad Core (3.6GHz, 4MB L2/8MB L3, 95W, AM3+)
Athlon II X4 645 Quad Core (3.1GHz, 2MB L2, 95W, AM3)
Athlon II X4 640 Quad Core (3.0GHz, 2MB L2, 95W, AM3) BOX
Athlon II X4 631Quad Core (2.6GHz, 4MB L2, 100W, FM1)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Below is the approved list of cpu's that can be used on your MB.

CPU Socket Type
AM2+/AM2

CPU Type
Phenom II X4 / X3 / Athlon II X4 / X3 / X2 / Phenom FX / Phenom / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core / Athlon X2 Dual-Core / Athlon 64 / Sempron

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The webpage for your motherboard is here. Note in the left column there is a CPU Support List. This is a list of all the CPUs ASRock reports is compatible with your board. Note most motherboard makers provide these QVLs (qualified vendors lists) for most of their boards.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Found below the CPU Support.

If you use AM3 / AM2+ CPU on AM2 chipset motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0 (5200 MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s), but the CPU frequency will not be influenced.

Depending on which

Athlon™ II X2 is already installed and taking into account the above, would there be any significant performance gain by upgrading the CPU?

dark_ages

dark_ages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi thank you all for the replies , the reason I want to upgrade my computer is because I am Gamer and there are a lot of new games that don’t support my CPU any more or Graphic card , the configuration itself at the currents state for any other activity is just perfect .

dark_ages

dark_ages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
From what I saw in the support list this core should be OK I think - Athlon II X4 631 Quad Core (2.6GHz, 4MB L2, 100W, FM1)Athlon II X4 http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103945 what do you think ?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

this core should be OK I think - Athlon II X4 631 Quad Core (2.6GHz, 4MB L2, 100W, FM1)Athlon II X4

NO. That CPU is Socket FM1 (100W) and is not on the QVL.
Your Mobo supports Socket AM3. AM2+/AM2 (up to 95W)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Generally, depending on your starting point, you get more bang for money by increasing your RAM first. Then, since gaming and computing in general is so graphics oriented, upgrading the graphics card is the next upgrade for the money. The CPU is typically last. Something to think about.

dark_ages

dark_ages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have my eyes on ATI RADEON HD 4670 , I want to make both of the upgrades at the same time so generally the CPU at the moment is the problem for me .

dark_ages

dark_ages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok this is my other option Phenom II X4 840 Quad Core (3.2GHz, 2MB L2, 95W, AM3) http://www.tigerdire...5660&CatId=4431 if this doesn't do i'll have to go for a X3 , thank you for your help very much .

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

my other option Phenom II X4 840 Quad Core (3.2GHz, 2MB L2, 95W, AM3)

Yes, that will work.

I have my eyes on ATI RADEON HD 4670 ,

The recommended PSU for that card is 500W.

Before upgrading the Video card, it is essential to know the make and model of the PSU currently installed in you computer.

dark_ages

dark_ages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
What about the GeForce GT / GeForce GTX which is better the GT or the GTX type ?

dark_ages

dark_ages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
maybe this one will be more suited GF GT 430, 2GB Gigabyte N430-2GI, PCI-E, DDR3, 128bit, HDMI & DVI , I still need to check my PC , unfortunately at the moment I am not using it ...... I am at work :D .

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
it is inadvisable to select a GPU before you know what make and model of PSU you have.

Disconnect the PC from the wall socket and remove the side panel.

You should be able to see the marking on the PSU. Post back the details.

dark_ages

dark_ages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
At the moment i am using geforce 9600GT it requires 400W , so i guess that GF GT 430, 2GB Gigabyte or GF GTX 550, 1GB Gigabyte can be supported , i just need to know which one is better GT or GTX generation .