Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New CPU on Old Motherboard HELP !

• Please log in to reply

dark_ages

dark_ages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I'll check of course the make and model of PSU as you advised .

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
The

GTX 550, 1GB Gigabyte is the better card.

dark_ages

dark_ages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
So my PSU is 550W I cannot see the manufacturer anywhere but as most things it is made in China :D

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
If you have not removed the PSU, the specs could be on the side you can't see.

Does the Video card you are using at the moment have a 6 pin cable plugged into the end? (comes directly from the PSU to the card)

If you decide to us the GTX 550, it requires a 400w or greater PSU with 24amps on the 12v rail and 1 x 6 pin power connector.
Review, http://www.legitrevi...article/1572/1/

If you install the card without confirming you have the needed power requirements, The card may not work correctly or you could damage it.

dark_ages

dark_ages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Well I removed the PSU and unfortunately there is no info. on it what so ever for Who is the company that made it , and I am using actually a GeForce 9400 Gt with 4 Pin cable from the power supply , so I guess that I have to find a new Graphic card , is there a chance to recommend me one close to the GTX 550 ?

dark_ages

dark_ages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have 160USD for a new Video card

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Well I removed the PSU and unfortunately there is no info. on it what so ever for Who is the company that made it

A most excellent reason to turn it into a paper weight and get a new PSU from a reputable maker. Here's the short version of my canned text on sizing up a new PSU.

Use the eXtreme PSU Calculator Lite to determine your minimum and recommended power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plan ahead and plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years (extra drives, bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc.). Be sure to read and heed the notes at the bottom of the calculator page. I recommend setting Capacitor Aging to 10% and setting both TDP and system load to 100%. These steps ensure the recommended supply has adequate head room for stress free (and perhaps quieter) operation, as well as future hardware demands. Setting Capacitor Aging to 30% will provide an even nicer amount of headroom. And remember, the computer’s components will only draw what they need, not what the PSU is capable of delivering. And the PSU will only draw from the wall what the computer demands, plus another 15 - 20% due to PSU inefficiencies. Buying way too big hurts only the budget. Make sure you buy a supply from a reputable maker and that it is 80 PLUS certified. I prefer Corsair and Antec PSUs.

Do not toss this unbranded PSU in the trash. Save it for testing fans and drive motors, or just a spare for troubleshooting. I would, however, get a PSU Tester so you can (1) test it and (2) use it to simulate a load to allow the PSU to turn on.

I have 160USD for a new Video card

See Toms Hardware Best Graphics Card for the Money - January 2012.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Have you purchased any parts yet?

dark_ages

dark_ages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
No, I decided that I need to make a research first , at the moment things are looking hard when it comes to the Video Cart

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Why don't you replace the PSU,
Replace the GPU with the GTX or Radeon 6850
Gaming would be greatly improved.
If necessary replace the CPU at a later date.

Advertisements

dark_ages

dark_ages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Posted Image this is my mother board I have circulated with read the place where I think the PUS cable for the Video card is plugged , so there are only 4 pins and the GTX needs 6 . I am not sure if replacing the PSU will work if there is no way to plug a 6 pin cable for the Video card in to the motherboard .
For psu i have these options - http://www.powercolo...8#Specification
- http://www.spire-cor....asp?ProdID=918

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Have you got the user manual? if not, go to this page and download it.

http://www.asrock.co...asp?Model=N68-S

dark_ages

dark_ages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Manual says ATX 12V Power Connector (ATX12V1) that is the CPU power suplly cable........

dark_ages

dark_ages

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
OK this is the 6 pin cable of the Radeon 6850 where is it supose to go ?
http://www.hardwareh...6850_bundle.jpg

Edited by dark_ages, 16 January 2012 - 07:39 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually that is a adapter from a SATA power connection to the video connector in case your PSU doesn't have the video connector.