Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New build help please

• Please log in to reply

steve2z

steve2z

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I just built a new system(first one) and now that its together, I have a problem. When I push the front start button, the fans spin for all of about 2 seconds and then stops. Need some help on where to look for the problem. I cleared cmos and everything, I also disabled RAID and that didn't change anything. ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Soltek SL-K8AN2E-GR motherboard
Athlon 64 3000 processor

Advertisements

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Did you connect the 4pin power connector to the motherboard?
should be one coming off of your power supply

steve2z

steve2z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yep, thats connected- not sure what could be wrong- wonder if my power supply isn't kicking off because of some short or something???

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
unplug the computer
disconnect everything but the Memory,Cpu and Video card

set your cmos jumper to 2&3 ,pull the battery from the mobo

Let the system set for 2 minutes

return the battery and jumper...double check your video card make sure its seated correctly

plug the PC back in and see if that does it

post back

steve2z

steve2z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Just did that- same thing, fans went around for 2 secs. and stopped. Theres a led light on the MB that stays on now, going to check Solteks website and see what that means.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Pull the motherboard out of the case and set it on a box (I use the one that the mobo came in)

Install CPU,1 stick of Ram and the video card

Your going to have to leave it close enogh to the case so the front control panel wires will reach the mobo....also make sure to doubl check those connections.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
By the way im not just throwing stuff out there I just sold my Soltek about 3 weeks ago.It really is a great motherboard :tazz:

I didnt have any problems with it tho ;)

Edited by OneCool, 02 June 2005 - 10:42 AM.

steve2z

steve2z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Actually, looking at the diagram, I may have the front usb hooked up wrong- not sure that is the problem, but I'll find out soon enough.

steve2z

steve2z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Also, would it matter if I had my firewire connections done yet? Still cannot find if that led1 light is supposed to be on or not. I'll try more when I get home, also will try taking MB out of case- thanks for the help so far!

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Also, would it matter if I had my firewire connections done yet? Still cannot find if that led1 light is supposed to be on or not. I'll try more when I get home, also will try taking MB out of case- thanks for the help so far!

View Post

I would disconnect everything you dont need usb,firewire,sound card,floppy,hardrives,cd/dvd-rom drives

none of that is needed for the PC to POST (boot)

Advertisements

addy_010

addy_010

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
does MOBO = motherboard?

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

does MOBO = motherboard?

View Post

yes

steve2z

steve2z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok- when I run it on a box, it turns on and runs fine- whats the problem? The case is shorting the mobo out and the power supply is wisely shutting it down? Let me know what to do to correct the problem please!!

steve2z

steve2z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Figured out I needed to put mounting posts in and set it up like that- do I need those plastic washers that came with it or no? Also, I tried mounting it like that, and now it won't do anything, reseting cmos right now- I believe that red led light on the Mobo was just a test light to tell me it would run, and now it won't come on- power supply is ok still(worried about killing that) but the ethernet port lights up when I turn power on, but now the fans won't spin or anything.

steve2z

steve2z

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Just realized that I used a magnetic screwdriver to put the screws in when I put it back into the case- Did I just screw that MOBO all up by doing this?