Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to format external drive

• Please log in to reply

somuchdirt74

somuchdirt74

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've tried google but no luck for me yet..
Using Windows 7
When I try to format my drive to fat32 through command prompt Ex: format /FS:FAT32 D: It talks about how it can't determine the amount of sectors and also telling me the drive was RAW. What can I do about this? The reason why I did it through command prompt is because disk management kind of just hangs, and if it finally loads up it won't work correctly and the external hard drive wont be shown in the list. I've also tried hp usb format software to do format but it will say the disk is write protected (by the way there is no physical switch for it)

Main goal is to get RAW to FAT32 if its possible for me. I don't need anything from the disk so no worries about recovering the data.
Thank you

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Why do you want to format it FAT32?
How big is this external drive of yours?

somuchdirt74

somuchdirt74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
160gb.. its actually an ipod classic but I've done everything I could do with itunes and other applications, so I didnt want other suggestions on what to do. I just wanted people to respond as if its just a drive since formatting it is all there's left to do.