Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Local access only vista hp compaq

• Please log in to reply

Terre

Terre

• Pip
  • 7 posts
So to paint a picture of whats going on I have a Hp compaq presario cq50- 210us that came equipped with the windows vista operating system...Ive had the laptop aproximately 4 years give or take about a couple months ago I had a blue screen issue which forced me to completely go back to factory settings without saving ANY programs pictures documents ect that was on my laptop because u could not get passed the blue screen . After my laptop seemed to be working fine although I lost all my programs files and ect that did not come with the laptop...not sure if that is relevant to my current prolem but I figure a little history never hurts
Ok so heres the problem...since I havent tried to use my wifi because I had moved to a new place and was using at&t mobile internet card that was working fine. (before the reset the wifi was in tact and worked like cake) when I moved again I attempted to log on to my neighbors router (with permission and the number that is on the router as the web) now heres where the problem comes in...i can connect but with local access only no internet access...i thought maybe it was the wrong passkey at first but every other laptop in this house plus our xbox and even phones can connect but not my laptop I tried my phones hotspot aswell same thing showed up local access only limited connectivity...the signals are there and strong so I tried tethering my phone again shows connected but on the map it shows a green line between my pc and the router or hotspot but a red x between the router or hotspot and the internet
Heres what ive tried
Cmd netsh winsock reset
Ipconfig/release Nd renew
I tried disabling the ipv6 and reenabling it and installing the protocols thingys
I tried deleting the network adapter: with the explination mark and reinstalling it
I tried manually connecting
I tried changing the lan setting in internet settings
I tried to ping websites
Safe mode with network
system restore
im afraid I only have vista service pack 1 and I cannot update because I cannot connect to the internet...ANY HELP is helpful thanks in advance sorry im so long winded but I figured I mine aswell give u all the info i can upfront...oh and please note I am on this forum from my phone so I cannot copy and paste the cmd prompt but I can try to transfer as much info as possible

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

Go start - windows button
right click Computer
click properties
on the window that opens select Device manager
when that opens, check for any warnings - yellow or red against any entries

IF THERE ARE NO WARNINGS come out of device manager go to Network and Sharing in Control Panel, then manage network connections in left pane and then right click the wireless adaptor
click properties. In the lower window click the TCP/IPV4 entry ONCE to select it and then click the properties button below that window to the right. Check that obtain IP address and Obtain SNS server address are both checked for automatically.- Exit clicking OK as necessary. Try the connection.

Returning to device manager and if there are warnings
Explore as far as you can in an attempt to resolve those issues using the message on the first window that opens, when you double click on the entry with the warning.

As an example if there was a warning on Network adaptors, you expand that entry by clicking on the + sign on the left of the entry and then on the actual device, you double click to open the device entry and there you will see the message.

Here is the link to HP for your computer - providing of course that the hardware is still the original,
If it does not stay on the correct page then simply enter
presario cq50- 210us
in the model box.

Obviously you will have to do this on another computer.
http://h10025.www1.h...ct=3795234#N952

On the list but especially dealing with the network devices and ascertianing from device manager the wireless adaptor installed in the computer ie Broadcom or Atheros
download the driver from the link.

Save the download to a flash pen drive.
Now go to the Compaq and following the instructions install the driver/s as required.

After you have done that TRY again.

If there is still no success please post with details of the results.

Terre

Terre

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok thankyou Mac I will try this later today when I have access to another computer and report back

Terre

Terre

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Mac...i checked in my device manager again as of now there are no red or yellow stand outs and it says everything is up to date...should I still attempt to download the link

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No not necessary at this stage proceed as below please

IF THERE ARE NO WARNINGS come out of device manager go to Network and Sharing in Control Panel, then manage network connections in left pane and then right click the wireless adaptor
click properties. In the lower window click the TCP/IPV4 entry ONCE to select it and then click the properties button below that window to the right. Check that obtain IP address and Obtain SNS server address are both checked for automatically.- Exit clicking OK as necessary. Try the connection.

Terre

Terre

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes ive done this multiple times and tried it again it didnt work still local access only and unidentified network

Terre

Terre

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok Mac whenever u get back I noticed something when I click on the properties the first time and select ipv4 it has three buttons install uninstall and properties install and properties are both accessible...the uninstall button is lighter and inaccessible...could it be that somehow it is NOT even installed? When I click on install >protocol and then add there is nothing to install

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
  • Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type adapter, and then, under Network and Sharing Center, click View network connections.
  • Right-click the connection that you want to change, and then click Properties. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • Click the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, click each in turn - one at a time Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), and then click Properties.

The Network Connection Properties dialog box opens
  • In that window check that both are set automatically obtain
  • To get IP settings automatically using DHCP, click Obtain an IPv4 address automatically, and then click OK
  • and the same for the DNS Server
  • To get IP settings automatically using DHCP, click Obtain an IPv6 address automatically, and then click OK
  • and the same again for the DNS Server.
After exiting with Ok as necessary a REBOOT is required and then check again please rentering security details etc as required and checking that the wireless connection is shown on scan for available networks

Do not enter Advanced settings it is not required.

If this does NOT work DO THIS PLEASE
on an elevated cmd prompt
type
netsh winsock reset > ENTER:
The following message should be seen: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog.

then type
netsh int ip reset
key enter

THEN type EXIT
key enter
THEN REBOOT and try again.

If still NO good. and to save me a lot of typing work your way through this please.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211

Some of it has already been tried, but I feel you may be best checking each point - use the automatic fixit it where avilable. - it saves a lot of typing.

Also when you have completed this if it is still not working
go cmd prompt
type
ipconfig /all |clip

that is
ipconfig (space) /all (space) | (that is the | on the shift key of \) clip.

No result will be shown it will simply return to cmd prompt.
Open wordpad new document
right click and click paste.

COPY and paste that to your reply pls AS A COPY and paste not please as a file which I have to open.

IF ALL of the above does not work, is it possible to try a wired connection to the modem.
right click the wirless adaptor click disable
right click ethernet click enable

Terre

Terre

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I cannot copy and past because I cannot connect to the interney from that laptop

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well the copy and paste is a very small part of my previous post.

However you DO NOT have to be connected to the internet to copy and paste.

You simply paste it into wordpad

You then connect a flashpen

You then copy or send it to the flash drive

You then go to the computer on which you sent your last post

I cannot copy and past because I cannot connect to the interney from that laptop

and after connecting the flash drive you send it on your reply.

BUT more to the point how far have you progressed through my post with all the suggestions please.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Terre

It is now some six days since your last reply.
How are you progressing with this problem please
Would you kindly update the htread.

Andya123

Andya123

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Followed every step & still local.....grrr

Compaq Presario CQ 70 vista driving me nuts

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Hello, still having issues?

Kouen

Kouen

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I found the problem!!! it seems that when a Wifi card gets by DHCP some uncommon IP it rejects it and refuses to connect.

Solution Update the wifi Drivers or use the default factory router IP <192.168.0.xyz or  192.168.1.xyz>

I hope this helps someone on the net.

Edited by Kouen, 15 August 2015 - 04:32 PM.