Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Please help! Computer keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer keeps coming up with this message like this "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services enocountered a problem and needed to close". Happens mostly when I am using IE6 or MS Word/Access, it will say "... has encountered and needs to close".
At other times the system just shuts down totally and restarts, then I get a message "Windows has recovered from a serious error ...". I have got several error reports mostly to do with "Error signatures".

I submitted one of these errors to the Microsoft Online Analysis Crash site and got the following reply "Your system crashed because the random access memory containing Windows program code was corrupted. Microsoft is unable to determine if this corruption was caused by a hardware or software issue. The nature of the corruption suggests that a hardware issue is more likely. To determine if this is the case, Microsoft developed a Windows memory diagnostic that tests your PC memory."

I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostice (extended) tests, and got the following result: "WMD detected 71 errors. WMD could not determine which memory modules were associated with these errors."

Results by test showed:
MATS+ (cache enabled) 0 errors
INVC 3 errors
LRAND 0 errors
Stride6 0 errors
WMATS+ 0 errors
WINVC 16 errors
MATS+ (cache disabled) 0 errors
Stride38 0 errors
WStride- 0 errors
ERAND 52 errors
Stride6 (cache disabled) 0 errors

Could anyone advice me what to do next?

My PC spec is:
Pentium 4 CPU, 2.66GHz
RAM 1.00 GB, 2.68GHz (2 x 512)
Mobo P4 Titan DDR (AGP 8X)
Graphics card Assus GeoForce FX5200

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Remove ONE of the RAM sticks and re-run the test. Make note of the results.
Swap the RAM sticks and test again. If bothe tests show failure reports, both sticks of RAM will be faulty. If, however, one stick of RAM passes the test, then only the other stick is faulty.