Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Would This Adapter Work On My Optical Drive?

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
I have a brand new sata optical drive which I purchased to burn dual layer dvds on an old IDE style P4 pc.
I tried to hook the optical drive up to a pci sata card I had bought for the very same system long ago.
But all that does is create hangs, errors when accessing the drive, and the odd time it'll play a dvd as a test
but will lag every 30 seconds or so. So I've pretty much given up on the sata card since I've read everywhere
that they're not meant for optical drives anyways. Especialy since the card has a Via chipset.
But now I've thought up another idea... I have a usb pci card in my system that I don't even ever use.
& it has an internal port which is not shared [I contacted the manufacturer to verify this]. I was wondering
if I could use the following adapter to connect my new sata optical drive to the internal port on the usb card?

http://www.ebay.ca/i...=item3cb6b1e7cb

It says it's good for sata optical drives but I'd like someone to confirm that it would work. In my opinion it's pretty
much the same as one of those bulky external sata/ide/esata adapters that most techs use while servicing computers. Except
those are used on hardware outside of the system. While in my case I'd like to use the small adapter above on the inside.
Keeping the new sata drive inside at all times. I don't want to use an external enclosure, and I figure this would be the
same thing since an enclosure would use usb too.

Would anyone know if this could create burn errors and such? I won't be burning past 2.4x speed on dual layer dvds.

Thank You

Edited by superstar, 12 January 2012 - 12:08 PM.

Advertisements