Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System keeps rebooting over and over and over ad nauseum...

• Please log in to reply

WWhermit

WWhermit

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi there. This is actually a continuation of an issue that was started in the Malware/Spyware section. You can see it here:

http://www.geekstogo...-gets-disabled/

I actually made a vidoe of what my computer does and posted on youtube. You can view it here to give you an idea.

I was advised to come to this section to solve the rebooting problem. I did discover something significant before coming over here though. My computer does not crash while in SAFE MODE! This led me to believe that the problem was a graphics driver. I uninstalled all graphics drivers and updated through Nvidia.com, but the system still crashes in normal operating mode. I will post an OTL log next. It's just very hard to do because the computer crashes constantly. I'm currently posting this from my laptop.

Hope you can help!

WWhermit

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I will post an OTL log next

No need to do so, as they are not used in this forum. Only in Malware.
Thank you

WWhermit

WWhermit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok. Thank you.

WWhermit

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Hello again.

Would you clear up for me an apparent confusing statement.

When you left the Malware forum you said in your closing post

My computer does crash in SAFE MODE!

but here on this thread you say

My computer does not crash while in SAFE MODE!

which is the current situation please.

WWhermit

WWhermit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ack. Very sorry, I meant to say that my computer does NOT crash in Safe Mode. Neither does it crash when in "Safe Mode with Networking enabled." I had the computer running for over 1 hour today in Safe Mode, with Internet Explorer up and running, and not a single crash. As soon I restarted it up into normal running mode, it crashed within 1 minute.

WWhermit

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try please VGA mode.
Safe Mode uses Windows generic graphics drivers.

VGA mode uses your graphics card/integrated chip driver but in VGA mode.

Also whilst in the malware forum there was a question of overheat situation.
You were asked to download Speedfan and one of your sensors was reporting 122
EXTREMELY HOT in fact dangerously so.

The readings are NOT always reliable for many reasons. - for instance 122 is common on Asus motherboards where there is no sensor on that AUX reading.
You then cleaned the inside of the computer apparently finding quite an amount of dust.

DID YOU CLEAN the cooling fins of the CPU with an air duster spray or by GENTLY dislodging the dirt with a coton bud or similar - not of course anything metal.

Please send me antoher speedfan screenshot.

WWhermit

WWhermit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Good morning.

1) I tried booting into VGA mode as you instructed, and the system immediately crashed and rebooted. I am now back in Safe Mode with Networking enabled so that I can post this.

2) Yes, I cleaned the dust out very thoroughly. I used Dust-off. I took the CPU fan out of the system, thoroughly cleaning between all the fins. I removed the Graphics card and cleaned it thoroughly, including the attached fan. I took a good hour to clean and make sure that all possible dust was removed.

3) Speedfan screeenshot:

Posted Image

On Speedfan, it only shows the GPU fan speed. I also have 2 additional fans in the case, both 92mm. One blowing in from the front, and the other blowing out from the back. Both are functional. Also, this screenshot was taken after the computer has been running for about 5 minutes.

WWhermit

Edited by WWhermit, 13 January 2012 - 12:32 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I think, but it is important to stress, that I cannot be sure that you can ignore the 122C.
On many ASUS boards and I see yours is that 122C is shown when there is NO Sensor.
If it was really 122 the system would have shut down.

Please send me this

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed. PLEASE DO NOT make any changes to your system until I have seen the results.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Further to the above, as Safe Mode loads only a minimal set of drivers and services AND uses the generic graphics, rather than the VGA mode from your Nvidia driver, we may safely presume, at this time, that it is either a startup program, process, service OR driver.

I will be better placed to proceed when we have Pitstop results.

Whilst I wait for those and to save me reading again gthe gthread in malware would you look if that motherboard has integrated graphics, as you mention removing the graphics card
If it does have integrated gaphics, then of course there will be a connection on the I/O plate for the monitor, whereas on the card it will connect - further down to the actual card.

WOULD you please try enabling the integrated graphics if necessary in the BIOS, it may be that if you simply connect the monitor to the I/O plate that the integrated graphics will be initiated it dpends on how it is setup in BIOS.

This test will effectively eliminate or indeed raise the suspicion of the Nvidia graphics driver.

WWhermit

WWhermit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
PCpitstop test results:

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24746628

As to integrated graphics, there is none provided on this board. I have the P5K from ASUS, seen here:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131180

I removed the graphics card when cleaning, and installed the card back into the case when finished. I apologize if this was unclear. I am currently using the Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT graphics card, with 512MB RAM, manufactured by XFX.

WWhermit

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thks
No it wasnt unclear, but I did not know if the mb had integrated graphics.
I will post as soon as I have had a look at Pitstop.

In the meantime would you try a clean boot pls

http://support.micro....com/kb/310353/

Would you please use the manual procedure and go only as far as and including step 3.
If it works - please check that you have an Anti-virus running before you proceed to browse.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
IF THE CLEAN BOOT allows the system to boot normal mode without crashes PLEASE DO NOT proceed with this

You have the Nvidia driver 285.58
There are reports of that causing a few issues with XP.
DISABLE NORTON - any anti virus should be disabled when downloading and installing drivers. - from trusted sites.
DO NOT FORGET to re-enable please.
Download and install this one please
http://www.nvidia.co...hql-driver.html

IT IS VITAL that when returning from a 285 release to an earlier release that you follow this procedure.

Uninstalling the NVIDIA Display Driver Software

Note: It is highly recommended that you follow the steps in this section to completely uninstall

the NVIDIA Display Driver software.

1 From the Windows taskbar, click Start > Settings > Control Panel to open the Control

Panel window.

2 Doubleclick the Add/Remove Programs item.

3 Click the NVIDIA Display Driver item from the list.

4 Click Change/Remove.

5 Click Yes to continue.

A prompt appears asking whether you want to delete all of the saved nView profiles.

If you click Yes, all of the nView software and all of your saved profiles will be

deleted.

If you click No, the nView software is removed, but the profile files are saved in the

Windows\nView directory on your hard disk.

Your system now restarts.

Then install the driver you have downloaded - DISABLING NORTON again using this procedure

3 If you agree to the ʺLicense For Customer Use of NVIDIA Softwareʺ, click the Agree &

Download button to begin the download.

The File Download dialog appears.

4 Either click Save to save the file and then run it from your PC, or click Run.

An extraction path dialog appears prompting you to specify where on your PC you

want the driver files to be installed.

5 Click OK to use the default location, or click the folder icon and specify an alternate

location to install the driver files.

The files are extracted and then the NVIDIA Installer is launched automatically.

6 At the License Agreement page of the Installer, click Agree and Continue.

7 Follow the instructions in the NVIDIA Installer to complete the installation.

ALSO would you please confirm that this installed on your system is the shopping donation software and that YOU have installed it.
ASPCA Reminder by We-Care.com v5.0.5.1
(5.0.5.1)We-Care.com12/28/11

By that I mean, if it is NOT something you have installed - OR indeed not the donation procedure when shopping, the presence of it on your computer requires further examination.

WWhermit

WWhermit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I'm at work, so I cannot do the assigned tasks until tomorrow. This mess about the ASPCA Reminder alarmed me, however, because no one in my house has any knowledge of this, and absolutely did not install this knowingly. We've never donated to the ASPCA, directly or by shopping for anything else. It very much does need further examination!

I will do the assignes tasks in the morning.

WWhermit

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well as far as I can ascertain it comes from here
http://www.we-care.c...nloads/Reminder

This mess about the ASPCA Reminder alarmed me

I certainly did not mean to alarm you and I do not think you have any reason to worry at all.
but I am sure you can understand the reason I asked, having seen something I did not recognise.

WWhermit

WWhermit

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
OK. I attempted a clean boot. I followed all instructions and clicked ok, which should have prompted me to restart the computer. Before that happened, I got a message saying that not all processes could be changed. "You may need to log on as an Administrator to make these changes." However, I was logged on as the computer's Administrator. I proceeded anyways and restarted the computer, letting it attempt to load in normal running mode. It crashed.

I am going to the next step, which is loading up the "safe" driver for Nvidia after completely removing the existing Nvidia applications.

WWhermit