Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Fan Problem

• Please log in to reply

redtux777

redtux777

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,
I have a ASUS U50F Laptop.
4gb ram

The laptop boots fine.

When I am in windows the fan will turn on then right back off. This happens every 5 min or so.
The heatsink is getting really hot and the laptop runs slowly when I run more then one program.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

P.S.
the fan runs fine until I log in
it also runs fine in safe mode

Edited by redtux777, 12 January 2012 - 04:28 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi redtux and :welcome:

A major two-fold problem with all notebooks is their compact size makes them very susceptible to heat issues and their nearly inaccessible interior makes them nearly impossible for normal users to clean and keep clean of heat trapping dust.

I suspect your CPU fan is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. When the CPU is taxed and gets warmer, the fan steps into high speed. This cools the CPU enough to allow the fan to slow down, which allows the CPU to heat up again.

I recommend you power off, open every cover and access panel, remove the battery and any add-in cards/devices, then use a can of compressed dusting gas to blast out as much heat trapping dust as possible from all the vents, cavities, under the keyboard, around the CPU fan, etc. Hopefully that will fix your problem. Then you might consider getting a Notebook Cooling Pad w/ext. power supply. I prefer those with their own external power supplies so you don’t put more strain on the notebook, causing it to generate even more heat.

redtux777

redtux777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Dierati.
Thanks for the help.

I looked at the fan and heatsink and they were both clean.

The problem was that the fan shuts off completely after normal mode start up.

Then after the heatsink gets really hot it will try and turn on. But will turn off right away.

This does not happen in safe mode. So I figured that it was a service or a start up issue. (in msconfig)

So I messed around with msconfig and found that if I turn off "Power" in services The fan works great..but no sound and I cant change settings for power management.

Any help?

Thanks

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
That is odd. Not sure what the power option would have to do with sound - except to save battery power. Does it behave the same way when running on battery as it does with the charger?

redtux777

redtux777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Same with plugged in or not.

So I turned the high performance option on and rebooted with "power" service on. and fan works great.

But if i turn on custom settings it shuts off. and if I turn the high performance back on ....no fan!???!?

redtux777

redtux777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok so I think it is this program called Power4gear by ASUS

http://www.asus.com/...ures/Power4Gear

this program runs on top of windows and does the power management plans...it is messing with the fan.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well after reading about Power4Gear, it seems many users were very happy - after they uninstalled it! So you may want to try that and see how it goes.

redtux777

redtux777

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Uninstalled it and and the laptop works great!

I tried to reinstall it again with the same bad results.

Thanks for the help!

hope this thread helps someone down the line!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for the follow up. It is your follow up pointing out the resolution that will help future readers! :)