Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Suggestions for Upgrades

• Please log in to reply

Alex309

Alex309

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright everyone. I have had this PC since about DECEMBER 2008, and as things keep popping up like new games, or other issues I've found it has gotten 'behind' the times.

I'm looking for a few tips on what to upgrade so I could, for example, play newer games like Shogun 2 on full graphics without the minimum straining my system. I am no technical genius, nor do I claim to know anything more than basic knowledge of my PC as it is.

Here are my specs/hardware;

Processor: AMD Athlon 7750 Dual-Core ~2.7 GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM and 750GB HD w/ DX11

Video Cards: 2x NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT

Power Supply is 115V.

What I'm curious about is, can I upgrade my processor and video cards without having to do a complete overhaul of my computer?
For example in place of those video cards I wanted to add GeForce GTX 550s along with the AMD FX-4100 QuadCore? I know these are most likely "slight" changes and nothing too drastic, but how will I know if my motherboard can handle it?

Advertisements

Alex309

Alex309

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No suggestions? :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: Alex309
You need to provide more information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

For future reference if you do not receive a reply after 3 days post in http://www.geekstogo...e-waiting-room/ and remember we are all volunteers and cannot be here all the time due to other commitments.

Power Supply is 115V.

PSU output is measured in Watts, 500W for example.