Free help from tech experts
Welcome to Geeks to Go forums. Create an account now to gain access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. Best of all, registration and all assistance is 100% free! This message, and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Sign In Create Account

xp wants me to logon but I have never set up a password and had workst

• Please log in to reply

wth

wth

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I guess most updates from Microsoft are sent out on Wednesdays, I came in to my office today Thursday, and my windows xp professional workstation is stating it can't log me in because its the wrong logon my user name and domain passwords are incorrect. I have never set my computer up for any passwords at all ... had computer for six years brand new out of box Dell 490 series workstation. I have done everything possible to get this fixed. I haven't even seen a logon box since my friend stopped that from popping up a couple of years ago. I don't use a logon as I have a very secure server, and secure firewall in both the computer and my router, do not have any viruses or malware, run WEBROOT as my complete security program. This happened right after the updates yesterday from microsoft which causes my computer to reboot on it's own and now I am a logon where I haven't had one and cannot get passed the logon screen. I have put passwords in all the administrative things and then rebooted then removed them and nothing works. Can anyone help?

Similar Topics: xp wants me to logon but I have never set up a password and had workst     x

Owen Davies

Owen Davies

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Try pressing f8 when booting the computer and select 'safe mode' this will either log you straight in or show login with one of them being 'administrator' once into windows run a system restore back to Tuesday and see if this gets u in. If so problem with update.

wth

wth

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes, thank you .... I did this I am pretty computer savvy it's just like there is nothing I can do to make this machine get rid of the logon. I never set up my computers to have a password at my desk because no one uses or has access to my computer and it's in my home so again it's something that no one touches they know its for work. However ... I did ask my son and husband both if they used the computer and they neither one have. The strange thing about this is that it's asking me to logon to windows but seems to say that I don't have the right name and password to my domain, what domain. If you see above I gave exact wording. My computer is not on a domain it's on it's own OS so should be asking me to logon to my windows not anything else is that not correct? I did go to F8 and I did everything in that section that could be done including set it back to a good time but my computer doesn't think it's had a bad time and it still wants me to logon in safe mode with NOTHING active (no networking nothing) still won't let me in my computer. Can anyone help ... this is really frustrating with a computer that has never had a problem ever. It has two hard drives but nothing else that is different than any other workstation... except it's a Dell.

wth

wth

• Pip
  • 6 posts
One thing i just noticed is that when the computer comes back on after rebooting, it has like four stars in the password part, since I have never set a password, this seems a little strange. The user information is blank and then the thing pops up as incorrect user name. Of course I have taken everything out of the user and password sections and hit enter but again, it tells me the same message as above. I have looked through Dells website trying to find anything about this ... even how to change a password when forgotten, but I never had a password so it's giving me no help.

wth

wth

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a workstation and when I go to boot in safe mode it does not give me options of who to sign in, I never set it up with any user but myself and I am the admin of course. So I don't get an option to go back to a date or anything it just goes to windows settings then back to password and user info. :(

wth

wth

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, for anyone else who may have this problem in the future, I would like to save you a day and a half of work. Microsoft offers no help at all for the problem I have been listing above and have only gotten one response to. You can visit the Microsoft page http://support.dell....6&isLegacy=true
and see what I mean. So far I am still running free programs to reset all my passwords, none of which I have ever set but have no other idea of what to do ... If you don't have a password set I don't know how you remove it but still it's the only logical thing I can think to do without doing what Microsoft says "re install my entire windows system". I have six years worth of work on my computer and yes I have a back up but the back up doesn't work if you can't log on to the computer. Since I never set a password I didn't make a password reminder cd. I mean come on, what's it going to remember? AT any rate I have found some good free programs that might help others and I would like to share them with you, however, right now none have fixed my problem. If you have truly forgotten your password for any of your system start up items such as your administrator ... computer ... and/or windows these programs are good just not for a person like me I guess who has never had a password. I have one option left which I am now going to try but so you have knowledge of the ones I have used here they are and again they are free no listing names, addresses email nothing ... after finding and/or resetting your password i would recommend making a password reset cd for future problems that may occur.

http://pcsupport.abo...gr/ophcrack.htm (Ophcrack)
http://pcsupport.abo...flinentpwed.htm (Offline Password & Registry Editor)
http://pcsupport.abo.../pcloginnow.htm (PC Log In Now) my last chance is to try Kon-Boot and the website is:
http://pcsupport.abo...gr/kon-boot.htm (Kon-Boot)

Some of these can be used with all operating systems some not please make sure you read which systems you can run them on. I have XP Professional and they all work on XP (OS) systems, for those of you who may be dealing with Windows 2000, Vista or Window 7 check to make sure you can!

Still would like any help that anyone can give in case this last item does not work for me either. I have never dealt with a problem like this before and I have been using computer for over 20 years, Dell has no answers, Microsoft has no answers so I am assuming my computer was hi jacked by an alien and they removed the working parts replaced them and now have sent me back a computer that can't be accessed...or I am nuts. My husband goes with the second option. Hope the information helps someone it would have been nice to have at least known these things were out there to give me hope if nothing else.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,173 posts
Hi WTH
By the look of things you have a malware problem. Since you have a backup (I hope a recent proven one)The option I would take is to do a windows repair. The ony problem you have with this option is you need the original Dell disk. The next option - for which you would need the dell or any xp cd with a legit key is a parellel install. Both options will give you access to allow a restore from a backup.
This link is for a repair Click on me

Cheers
Peterm

wth

wth

• Pip
  • 6 posts
RESOLVED BY ME .... but Thanks to all who tried to help ... it's not malware, we have a very good virus and software pre boot virus protection along with a firewall from a server and from our router. What I did actually find was the resolution to my problem, the time it took was very wasteful time but it could have been worse. This was caused by Microsofts last update which reset the computer to a point that assumed I was on a password protected computer. In other words it forced my computer to revert back to the very first day I put the computer up and started running it. I am the administration so in that box I had to use my name, now since I am not silly "I hope" I did fill this out with my name and I had tried using that before but after using all the password removal tools above I had reset all passwords to 0 and then thought that would help but unfortunately the very first time you add your name to a computer with XP professional it does not come up as a password and so the programs I used were not showing a password to remove. What I did find is the name I had used to set up my computer from administrator to the administrator being My Name I had capitalized it so this was a little tricky as I don't capitalize things much like that but finally figured out that it needed the name exactly the way it was shown in on of those password removal tools above and then a password I had once used for networking. Do not ask me why, it happened, I fixed it and anything else I can't explain. So I did not have a virus or malware problem just a memory problem ... "MINE" If anyone else every has this problem and I am sure there are more of you out there after the last Microsoft update installation, you need to make sure you can find your very first user name that you set up your computer with and then a password of some sort before you can get back in to windows again. This was a three day project that is only now resolved. Also ... anyone using windows xp professional should never take out... try to take out or even stop updating Windows IE (Internet Explorer the browser packed in your computer) I had not updated IE for over for years ...I hate the program so I did not update it when I should have ... I have now downloaded IE 8 and I will keep it updated but I then went in to the programs files and made it not the default browser "directions on this is in our help in system files under HELP just. The computer will advise you on what to do to update IE if you don't do this you are asking for problems and no one wants to go through what I just went through. If I was a violent person I am pretty sure my walls would look like Swiss cheese right now. Thanks to everyone who tried to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured