Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

0x0000007B Blue Screen XP wont boot

• Please log in to reply

John O'keeffe

John O'keeffe

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Had a problem with updating some software, the PC restarted suddenly and then windows would not restart. I'm running Win XP Professional:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen apeaprs again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** Stop: 0x0000007B (0xBA4C7524, 0xC000000E, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

So Far I cant start in safe mode, last known good, chkdsk found no errors, i have updated the BIOS as i thought it might be a conflict, in recovery console i tried Bootfix and mprfix to no avail.

I know that "0x0000007B" Means inaccessible boot drive, could be a hard drive issue, I've not replaced the hard-drive or motherboard recently

What can I do? I can, however, get into the recovery console - everything came pre-installed. NO original XP disc to try and use to repair windows. If I run the recovery disc i will lose everything not already backed up

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can try using a live Linux CD like Puppy to backup your data. Do that before you do anything else.

Once your data is safe, try booting the Recovery Console then at the C: prompt type chkdsk /r and press Enter. Let it run to completion. This can take an hour or more depending in the size of the hard drive.

If it's a file system problem that will normally fix it.

John O'keeffe

John O'keeffe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I've run Chkdsk /r and is been stuck on 57% for an hour now? How long should i leave it before worrying?

I've managed to borrow a Windows XP installation disk too, I could try run a repair that way

John O'keeffe

John O'keeffe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay I've Run Chkdsk /r all the way through and it's still restarting at the xp logo screen

so i am trying to repair windows using the installation disk

John O'keeffe

John O'keeffe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay ran XP disk and went through to try repair the problem, now it just constantly reboots and i cant press F8 to get it to stop rebooting so i can see the stop code.

Any Ideas?

the xp logo load bar moves now though where as it didnt before hand

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I would do a Clean Install next but you need to backup all your data first as a Clean Install will format the hard drive and all data will be removed.

Clean Install XP:
Clean Install- WhatTheTech
Clean Install - Michael Stevens Tech

John O'keeffe

John O'keeffe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was hoping not to do that but i guess i knew it was coming to this eventually after everything i've done so far

Thanka Man

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I know it's a PITA but in the long run I think it will save you a lot of aggravation.

The big thing is making sure you have your data backed up first.

John O'keeffe

John O'keeffe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well that sorted it PITA though thanks all the same :thumbsup:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Glad to hear it's fixed.

You might want to look into setting up a good backup strategy so when (not if) this happens again, recovery is only 20 minutes away and you don't lose anything!

My recommendation would be an external USB Hard Drive and Acronis True Image.