Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown hardware issue.

• Please log in to reply

Questick

Questick

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am in need of assistance. My laptop died recently but I am unsure how to determine the problem. Here's the scenario:

The computer started hanging then the graphics began to freeze. The only way to get the screen to work correctly was to boot in "safe" mode. I tried to run diagnostics in safe mode but it didn't help. Now the system won't book up at all. When I turn it on, the hard drive runs for a couple second and then it just sits there. I tried hooking up an external monitor to verify the screen wasn't the issue and the monitor did the same thing.

My thoughts are either the motherboard or the video card. My gut is saying the motherboard. If so, I know it's probably just as easy to replace the computer as to replace the motherboard but before I try to make the decision, I want to be able to verify the problem.

Any thoughts?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: Questick
Can you hear the CPU fan at any time when you power up the laptop?
If your laptop has 2X2GB sticks of Ram try booting up with one stick at a time, try both sticks in each slot to see if there is any change.