Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Problem - Installed new hard drive as primary but old hard drive

• Please log in to reply

jayjay23

jayjay23

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Windows 7 Ultimate
2GB ram
250GB HDD

Hi guys, I hope someone can shed some light on this for me please. Here is the situation.

My computer had just one hard drive (with the OS on it). I kept getting random crashes. So I decided to get a new (sata)hard drive and install the OS and have it as my primary drive and use my old drive as a backup.

Here is what I did.
Removed hard drive one.
Put new hard drive in its place.
Installed Windows 7 Ultimate on new hard drive.
Then plugged in my old hard drive as my backup into slot 2.

Rebooted.

Everything worked fine. (well actually CHKDSK or something keeps running on about 1 in 3 reboots but then it starts)

New windows 7 os on new drive and old drive in >Computer showing as drive E: with access to all my old files.

Then I reboot and CHKDSK runs again and restarts itself.
Then when it boots it has booted to the old hard disk with my new drive showing as back up in >Computer.

The last 4 times I have tried it it alternates every time. New, old, new, old, new, old.

It is very odd.

There is also another issue which may not be connected. When it boots into the new drive I cannot access the internet 50% of the time. Here is the pattern.

Boots to new > Internet = yes
Boots to old > Internet = yes
Boots to new > Internet = no
Boots to new > Internet = yes
Boots to new > Internet = no

What have I done wrong?

Does it have anything to do with the little pin configuration (jump) on the side of the hard drive?

There is slightly more detail can be added if you think it would help.

Thanks.

(infact this could be important too. = When I put the new hard drive in the first time and started the windows install it asked me where I wanted to install to. The only option was of course C: which said something like 248 GB available as it was unused. But during the initial install something happened and it failed. So I started the install again. This time when it asked me where I wanted to install it said C: or D: (remember the old drive was still out of the machine at this stage) C: 247GB remaining D: 61.8 MB remaining of 99.9 MB. (it may have said system reserved next to it but I cant remember) so I chose C: and the install completed normally. When I go to >Start>Computer the drives are c:old drive, d:system reserved and e:new drive. (depending on which HDD has booted)

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Hi jayjay23

You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

Did you format and partition the new HDD before installing W7, see http://www.sevenforu...indows-7-a.html

jayjay23

jayjay23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Hi, thanks for the reply.

My system is desktop.
Intel Core 2CPU 4400 @ 2GHZ
2.00 GB Ram

Installed 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate

Is that sufficient detail?

When I installed the OS I selected the option to format during the install.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Is that sufficient detail?

Sorry no.

From post #2

You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.