Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Basic won't load - Windows Boot Manager Error

• Please log in to reply

alastair70

alastair70

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Please can someone help me with my problem. My teenage girls have two laptops which have starting playing up They are both
Hi-Grade M760S-P made by Clevo Co in China, running Vista Basic. The 1st one works great with no problems.

The 2nd one changed her password and forgot it, then got her "know it all" teenage boyfriend to "try" and fix it. He tells me that he used a program to delete the user account password, as he had done this before and it had worked (after some discussion he tells me he used a program on Hirens Boot-disk, which I haven't heard of myself, he says he can't remember what it was called and his copy of it doesn't work any more,which seems like an excuse to me) however it didn't, and now it doesn't start at all.
My daughter say that the disks that came with the laptops have been lost, and that the data on the laptop have been backed up. She then gave it to me with a demand of "get it sorted please" which considering that her boyfriend seems to have buggered it upcompletely seems about right for her. I have recently lost my job and don't have the money to take it to a shop, but I do have a fair bit of experience with PC's.

So as I have a PC which I can plug her hard disk into as a slave disk, and seeing as I have a copy of Easeus Disk Copy, I thought (however wise it was) that I could format the problem disk, and then disk copy from the working laptop. The disk copy process seemed to work fine, I put the other disk back into the first laptop and it worked fine, with no problems except needing to install some windows updates.

Then I installed the problem disk back into the 2nd laptop, turned it on and got the following page appear.

At the top it says "Windows Boot Manager"

then goes on to say the following:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be thecause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your installation disk

2. Choose the language settings, then click "Next"

3. Click "repair your computer"

If you do not have this disc contact your...bla bla bla for assistance

File: \windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

At the bottom of the page is "Enter=Continue" of "ESC=exit"

As we don't have any disks for the laptops, I'm unsure what to do.

Please can someone help me fix it, as my ex-wife has already told me that if I don't I will have to by a new one and that will mean two or the arguing will be awful, and I could do without the stress, plus I just don't have the money for it. So if anyone knows how to fix it, and could give me step by step instructions I would be very grateful indeed.

Regards

A very stressed out Dad

Advertisements

alastair70

alastair70

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
After a couple more hours of reading, I came across an article that has solved my problem,

It told me that I needed a recovery DVD to reinstall the winload.exe file. This is common from everywhere that i have read, what wasn't so common was where i could get my hands on a copy, now, tonight at 2am on a Saturday morning, until I read another article on a different website hidden away on the forth or fifth page. It told me to goto Systemdiscs where i could download an .iso of the recovery disc which was 120Mb in size. They also do recovery discs for Windows 7 & Vista both 32 and 64 bit. The link to the download page is below.

http://neosmart.net/...-disc-download/

and a direct link to the Vista download page is

http://systemdiscs.c...=Vista_Recovery

I downloaded the disc, burnt it using Active ISO Burner and put it in the drive.

I started the laptop, and it booted from the DVD, where it asked me to select my language settings and then took me to a menu.

The first option on the menu asked if I wanted to fix start up problems, which naturally I did, so I clicked it.

That was it, it did it's bit, then told me to restart the computer, and hey presto it started first time.

I have now successfully restarted the laptop 8-10 times now and it restarts perfectly every time.

So that's it, it cost $9.75 to download, and has saved me lots of ear ache from my girls (and the ex)

I've used this site before, so I thought as I have found my own solution, I should share it with everyone else. The moral that I have learnt is to make sure I keep the discs that come with a new PC SAFE, and then no doubt I could have saved myself a lot of time.

However in the end it was a good exercise, and I have expanded my knowledge at little bit further