Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory problem

• Please log in to reply

Quickeyez

Quickeyez

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Certain softwares its occupy my ram long after I have exited them. They fail to release my RAM. Any explanation and/or solutions?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
They are ram pigs. Only solution I know of is to reboot. I wouldn't want any such programs in my startup. You could go to start, run and type msconfig and uncheck those ram hogs so they don't start unless you launch them.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
previous poster seems to have wrong idea. programs which don't release RAM after exiting are not the same as startup programs which can easily be prevented from starting with Windows if they are not required. Programs which are used and then closed can be forced to release memory by using a free utility which does away with the inconvenience of a re-boot. One such utility is 'FreeRamXP Pro' here: http://www.yourwares...e.html#framxpro

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
can you have that for WINDOWS XP HOME?

Quickeyez

Quickeyez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks pip22, your recomended program helped ease my RAM crisis.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Thanks for the info pip22. I am still learning from reading the forum, which is why I came here in the first place. I checked out that freeware. I will give it a try too.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Make sure you dont have a lot of startup programs either :tazz:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Just be aware that this program, like soooo many others, puts itself in the startup menu too, just to help you! I took it out. No need for a program to run unless I want it to.