Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what do u guys think of McAfee VirusScan software?

• Please log in to reply

chefcheech

chefcheech

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
topic, i just want to know what the pros think about it.

again, sry about the noob post and sry if its in the wrong section.

Advertisements

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
hi chefcheech.

Not Much. It's better than nothing. Both AVG and Avast! are excellant Free anti-virus programs, and F-Prot For Windows and Nod32 are not free but highly thought of.
Any of those four above do better in Virus tests I've looked at. At least the one's I believed. :tazz:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
not a noob question in my opinion. we have several we recomend here that are free, one that we find extremly usefull in removing adware viru and other trojans as well, in addition to mcaffee and symantec. Mcaffee has a leg up on symantec because they do a better job removing adaware related exe files and trojans than symantec.

avg and avast are our recomended free antivirus scanners

Panda software makes a good commercial (as in pay for) av scanner, as does mcaffee and symantec.

Eiwido is one that we use extensivily here at GTG.

you can look at these 2 posts for more info:
post 1

post 2l

please let me know if you have any further questions.

Starjax

StarHawk

StarHawk

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Great answer starjax

I hope you don't mind but I'm going to modify it and use it as canned speech for this issue. Keep up the great work.

The only problem I have with Ewido Security Suite is it is Windows 2000 and XP only and the fact you have to buy it. I help a lot of people using 98 and use 95, 98, 2000 myself. So for the 98 crowd it's not an option. I haven't looked online but is there any legit 98 versions of it?

As to buying it, I don't buy software. Windows came with machines I have, but other than that I search for free ware and open source if possible. I don't recommend any open source code AVs because I haven't found any as good as or better than AVG.

As to Mcaffee's AV, within the last two months I've cleaned up friends machines who were using Mcaffee. One hadn't been doing upgrades and both were using P2P and I know that this can happen to any AV program, after all none are perfect, but that has me not happy about them right now. usually tho I recommend someone using Mcaffee to continue using it as long as it seems to be working for them, and I recommend all to take online virus scans.

thanks. :tazz:

Edited by StarHawk, 02 June 2005 - 12:15 PM.

chefcheech

chefcheech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thnx guys, does n e one have n e advice as to using ewido effectively?

and i also noticed that when an alert comes up, it interupts everything and a window comes up telling me i have an infected file, is there n e way i can bypass this or get a different warning? this is one of the reasons i stopped using mcafee cuz everytime a virus, trojan, or whatever else came up a little pop up came up in the corner of my screen.

while annoying, it wasnt as annoying as the window that comes up using ewido

suggestions or comments?

chefcheech

chefcheech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
bump

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
carefull on the bumps. lol. we are very busy here.

the entire purpose of it doing those pop ups is to tell you that you have a virus. That is something all of them do. Its what we call human engineering. Its meant to encourage you to change your habits as well as to be informational.