Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help

• Please log in to reply

Bgtts48ddd

Bgtts48ddd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I was able to open my computer waitn for it to load

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Since yesterday no icons no bootn nothing. Just now my pc has icons. But its like its struggling to open the icons

So the system is in windows now?

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Bgtts48ddd

Bgtts48ddd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I was able to open run and type in regedit. But as all the other icons I have to wait a very long while for it to open

Bgtts48ddd

Bgtts48ddd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Got it open it says hkey local machine wats in the box is to the right it says default reg_sz under the hkey local machine it says hkey users and hkey current config. Above hkey lical it says hkey current user and hkey classes root. Win I click plus sign it opens other things but I cant find source paths

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you try running the program without going into the registry?
If it doesn't need the disk it will continue on.

Bgtts48ddd

Bgtts48ddd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Some icons opened up after waitn. Norton say I have five threats that make pc volnurable. But every thing I try to open takes very long. Im tryn to open internet now. Do u think my drjvers r messed up. If so how do I fix them

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm more worried about the threats it found.
I can have you run a few things to see if we can speed it up but I think in the end you will need to have the Malware Techs go through your system to make sure it is completely clean.
Knowing that lets start with the system itself.

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Bgtts48ddd

Bgtts48ddd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Im still using the cell I was unable to open internet

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets see if some simple steps will get it working.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Bgtts48ddd

Bgtts48ddd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Everything I try to open says not responding

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK we can try a system restore from windows if it will work.

How To Restore back to a earlier date.

To do a System Restore follow these steps:

 Click Start and then to All Programs
 Scroll to Accessories and then System Tools
 Click on System Restore
 A Welcome screen will come up and you need to click on Restore My Computer To A Earlier Date
 Then click on Next
 Now you will see in the window Select A Restore Point. From here select a date a couple of days before the problem started.
 Then click Next
 On the Confirm Restore Point Selection window verify the Restore Point you chose is correct.
 Close all open programs and click Next
 The computer will now automatically shut down and reboot. When it restarts you will see ”Restoration Complete” page and then click OK
 Once you have made sure that everything is now running correctly then please reply back with the results.
If this does not work then follow the next steps to do a Repair Installation

Bgtts48ddd

Bgtts48ddd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Finally got the system restore up. The restore point I first select said that any restore point before this date would not unclude drive d. It said it might have been missing, not included in the checkpoints or jyst turned off

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK did you restore back right before the updates?

Bgtts48ddd

Bgtts48ddd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I did. But it took so long. The only other restore point was tthe end of dec so I chose that one. It took a while to open restore but then it did. But as it was shutting down it said 23 updates do not unplug or turn off computer it will shut down automatically. It has been running updates since last night and still running them its only on 11 of 23. I was afraid to stop it in fear it wud cause more damage.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Once it is done then I think for the sake of sanity I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here