Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus asking me to purchase Vista Security [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kab1325

kab1325

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I searched this topic and tried to run the programs that were listed but the virus kept blocking my attempts on the first step and I tried to rename the program as suggested. Any other suggestions. Help I'm desperate!!!

Advertisements

Nedklaw

Nedklaw

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,652 posts
Hello, kab1325! :wave:

:welcome: I'm Nedklaw and I'll be glad to help you with your malware issues. :)

I am currently still in training and my posts have to be approved by an expert so please expect a delay between my posts.

These instructions are specifically designed for kab1325 only. No one else should follow these instructions because it can cause serious damage to your computer.

Before we start to clean your computer of malware, please read through the following points to help me and you, and prevent damage to your computer:
  • Please completely read through all of the instructions given to you before attempting to follow them. Reading too lightly will cause you to miss important steps, which could have DESTRUCTIVE effects. If you can't perform a certain step or you are unsure about what to do, let me know!
  • Don't be afraid to ask questions! If you are unsure about anything, ask me! No question is considered stupid here!
  • Be patient with me, logs can take some time to research and my life can mean that I'm busy.
  • Please copy and paste all logs into your reply. Do not attach logs to a post unless I tell you to or if they don't fit in the post.
  • If I instruct you to download a specific tool in which you already have, please delete the copy that you have and re-download the tool. The reason I ask you to do this is because these tools are updated fairly regularly.
  • NEVER fix anything in OTL or other programs on your own! This can be very dangerous and cause harm to your system.
  • Refrain from running any other tools apart from the ones I tell you to.
Note: You should save or print out my instructions for easy reference, as part of the fix may be in Safe Mode and you won't be able to access GeeksToGo.

Step 1

Download RogueKiller to your desktop.

• Quit all running programs.
  • For Vista/Seven, right click -> run as administrator, for XP simply run RogueKiller.exe.
  • When prompted, type 2 and validate.
  • The RKreport.txt shall be generated next to the executable.
  • If the program is blocked, do not hesitate to try several times. If it really does not work (it could happen), rename it to winlogon.exe.
Please post the contents of RKreport.txt in your next reply.

Step 2

Posted Image Download OTL to your Desktop.

• Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed to let it run uninterrupted.
    • Select Scan All Users.
    • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in:
    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    %USERPROFILE%\..|smtmp;true;true;true /FP
    /md5start
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
    C:\Windows\assembly\tmp\U\*.* /s
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan won't take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic.

Step 3

Download aswMBR.exe (1.8mb) to your desktop.

Double click aswMBR.exe to run it.

Click the "Scan" button to start the scan.

Posted Image

On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.

Posted Image

Things I want to see in your next reply

• RKreport.txt
  • OTL.txt
  • Extras.txt
  • aswMBR.txt

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.