Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blacklist ip

• Please log in to reply

Mask

Mask

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey hello every one ....i have one question with me....plz answer it..

i have some ip addresses with me and i checked that the internet is working on it ...just recenlty i come to knw about the blacklist.

i checked them when i was trying to configuring them on my web server and mail server i come to knw that my whole ip addresses are in blacklist.

can any one tell me if my ip addresses are in black list than how can i access internet ??? is both are totally different???

and what exactly meaning of blacklist and why i can't configure them in web server or mail server ...i m bit confused plz help me ..

thnx

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I have read your post 3 times, and I can't figure out what you are asking. Can you try to rephrase the question? We'll try to help you.
Johanna

invisigoth

invisigoth

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
im not to sure what your asking but i used to work for an isp dealing with business broadband and if you are using static ips which i assume you are you cannot remove them from a blacklist if they are dynamic turn of your router for about 3 mins if the ips are statics you will need to speak to your isp but they shouldnt prevent you from getting web they may well prevent email might want o get your kit checked most blacklisting on static ips are caused by a issue with a virus hope this helps if not feel free an ignore :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
A blacklist is a list of IP addresses which have been detected as a source of spam. It has nothing to do with whether or not you can access the internet. However if you are running your own email server and you are blacklisted, you will find that some people will not be able to send email to you, or receive email from you. There are in fact many blacklists, each individually maintained - and it is possible to remove your IP from the blacklist.

A great tool I use often is MX Toolbox: http://www.mxtoolbox...blacklists.aspx It will take your IP and scan a huge list of known blacklists and return your results in a single output. If you are blacklisted in any of them it provides a link you can follow where you can read more information about why your IP is blacklisted and what steps you need to take to remove it. The idea being here is that if you are not explicitly running a spam email server, then there is a problem with the configuration of the email server that needs to be resolved. Resolve the problem, then get the IP address removed from the blacklist. Most blacklists do not give much leniency. If you repeatedly ask to have your email server removed but don't make any changes eventually you will be blocked pretty much permanently. So if you are not an experienced email server admin, do not proceed lightly (in fact even experienced email admins would likely be extremely careful regardless).

There are ways to configure an email server to use a blacklist for security reasons. Thus if someone is trying to send you email from an IP address that has been blacklisted, your email server will reject the email along with a message back to the sender with a rejection code.

So in a nutshell:

1) Fix the email server(s) working on your IP addresses which are blacklisted
2) Remove the IP address from the blacklist in which it is listed
3) ???
4) Profit

Cheers