Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer reboots when I insert a CD

• Please log in to reply

old newbie

old newbie

• Pip
  • 8 posts
The machine is fine otherwise but it reboots when ANY cd is inserted. When it comes back up with the cd already in there I just continue on like nothing happened. I can change it so I get a blue screen full of data instead of rebooting but that doesn't tell me much. I know a couple of other computers that this is happening to and they all started around the same time.

My first post here but I'll be back, this place is active! I searched the archives and didn't find anything.

Thanks for help or links :tazz:

Advertisements

Joe2000

Joe2000

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

The machine is fine otherwise but it reboots when ANY cd is inserted. When it comes back up with the cd already in there I just continue on like nothing happened. I can change it so I get a blue screen full of data instead of rebooting but that doesn't tell me much. I know a couple of other computers that this is happening to and they all started around the same time.
My first post here but I'll be back, this place is active! I searched the archives and didn't find anything.

Thanks for help or links :tazz:

View Post

Is this a cd burner? If so what software do you use?

old newbie

old newbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yea, everything I can find leads in this direction but I'm not buying.

It's a Samsung CDRW/DVD SN-324B but I have never burned a cd on it (new to me work machine) and I don't see any burning software on the machine.

Joe2000

Joe2000

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Yea, everything I can find leads in this direction but I'm not buying.

It's a Samsung CDRW/DVD SN-324B but I have never burned a cd on it (new to me work machine) and I don't see any burning software on the machine.

View Post

Um... Have you tried updating the drivers software or if all else fails reinstalling the driver?

old newbie

old newbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Samsung says there is no driver for this - see link.

Samsung FAQ re:cdrw/dvd drivers

Again, this bug started on 3 different machines at about the same time - not too long after installing sp2 but not immediately.

Joe2000

Joe2000

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Samsung says there is no driver for this - see link.

Samsung FAQ re:cdrw/dvd drivers

Again, this bug started on 3 different machines at about the same time - not too long after installing sp2 but not immediately.

View Post

Of course it uses a driver, Samsung uses MS default atapi.sys driver.
Try to update the CDRW/DVD by going to the device manager if you are already using the latest version then do a roll back.

In case you need help getting there.
1) Right click on "MY Computer" & then click on "Properties"
2) Select "Hardware" from the tab & click on "Device Manager"
3) Expand your cd/dvd drive by clicking on the "+"
4) Then Right click on the drive & go to "Properties"
5) In the tab select "Driver"
6) Then update & follow any prompts
If it tells you there are no new updates or you already have the latest version
then do a "Roll Back" on step 6

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
if i can step in here....

What kind of CD? Music? Data? Program?

All?

old newbie

old newbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for jumping in.

I'll troubleshoot the specifics after I post this. I know it's programs, I don't usually do music but I'll try just to find out, the key is if it reboots on a non-autostart data cd. I think it does but I'll find out.

There is no driver to roll back to. I just uninstalled and reinstalled the device w/ no change. (Shortcut to Device Manager: Right click My Computer>choose Manage. Great tools available here. I use this lots.)

If the cd is in when the pc comes up I can take it out and put it back in w/out problem. I'll check to see if I can put in a different disk than the one that was in there on bootup. (I won't try it now in case it fails and I have to type all this back in!)

OK, I'm off to troubleshoot. Be right back.

Oh, I've got the error info if it helps.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, what was the error info

old newbie

old newbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OK, I've been a rebooting madman for awhile now.
If I boot up with no cd in the machine I can't put in mixed data (regular stuff-.doc, .exe, .xls), program or music. I can however look at a CD of just pictures (.jpg)

If I boot up w/ music in I can put in another music, that's all.
If I boot up w/ program I can look at pics., that's all
If I boot mixed data I can't do anything.

All this said, none of these seem absolutely consistent. It appears to have something to do with WHEN I insert the CD. I think it has something to do with a service or start up program but I can't find it. I yanked everything out of startup in my profile and all users-no real change. I yanked MSN Messenger, Autosave (backup prog), and VPtray (symantic antivirus). Thought this had me going but I failed after a couple tests. I put them all back now.

I'll try to attach the jpg's of the errors.

Attached Thumbnails

• Error_rpt.JPG
  • error_signature.JPG

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm,

those errors aren't really helpful, they are just telling you what windows wants to send to MS....

start > run
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAMEtime as your problem...list them here.

old newbie

old newbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Here's the info from a red X from event viewer system. Nothing under apps.

old newbie

old newbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Here's the info from a red X from event viewer system. Nothing under apps.

Attached Thumbnails

• event.JPG

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hmm, not terribly useful either

OK, let's try this

download the attached and run it.

Attached Files

old newbie

old newbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey, that's a neat little utility. I'll keep it in my toolkit.

Doesn't do me any good though. Can't write a log while you're booting. The closest I came was a corrypted log file when I came back up.