Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast Antivirus doesn't want to scan

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

No question asked is stupid as far as I am concerned and you took the correct course of action informing/seeking my advice. :thumbsup:

OK, delete OTL.com as that particular executable does not have the run as admin feature etc, then download OTL.exe from here.

Then carry out my prior instructions in post #10 apart from disabling Windows Defender which you have already done.

We will then go from there, thank you.

Advertisements

mrsnhsa

mrsnhsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I am trying to save OTL to my desktop from the link in your last post but it just keeps running a small window that says preparing to copy.

It has been dong that for the last 30 minutes which is what it always does that's why I downloaded the other version of OTL from previous posts.

When I select Run instead of Save then my Avast antivirus says to run it in the sandbox because it is safer.

Is that what I'm supposed to do?

When I choose to run it normally it brings up a window that says something about not being able to save it.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Let see if temp disabling Avast will help with this particular problem...

How to do so can be read here.

mrsnhsa

mrsnhsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the info, I will work on this on Saturday 2-25 and then post my results.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
OK. :)

mrsnhsa

mrsnhsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi,

I was finally able to download OTL after disabling my antivirus but it took over an hour to download it.

I opened it and clicked run as administrator, then copied and pasted the list you told me to but shortly after I clicked the red run fix the OTL window showed it was not responding. (My computer recommended me to run in the sandbox but I chose to run it normailly does that make a difference?).

I tried to do this again and disabled my antivirus to see if that would help but it doesn't, it still shows not responding.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

OK lets check your machine with a different benign scanning application. So I can try too ascertain what is the problem trying to complete my prior advice as follows...

Scan with DDS:

Note: DDS does not require actually right-clicking on and selecting Run as Administrator.

Please download DDS and save it to your Desktop from here.

Alternate downloads are here or here.

• Disable any script blocker, and then double click on DDS to run the tool.
  • When done, DDS will open two logs:
  • DDS.txt <-- Will be opened
  • Attach.txt <-- Will be minimized
  • Save both reports to your desktop.
  • Please post the contents of these two Notepad files in your next reply.
When completed the above, please post back the following in the order asked for:

• How is you computer performing now, any further symptoms and or problems encountered?
  • Both DDS logs. <-- Post them individually please, IE: one Log per post/reply.

mrsnhsa

mrsnhsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi,

I downloaded DDS (it took over an hour to download it) but I don't know what you mean when you say to disable any script blocker.

What are they and how do I disable them?

So when I double clicked on DDS my Avast antivirus came up saying

avast has finished analysis of the program
we did not find enough evidence to identify the file as malware
however you should use extreme caution when accessing it
The program has now terminated.
For the next execution of this file do the folowing

open in the sandbox (recommended)

I do want to mention that I called Avast today and asked them about getting rid of something that has been showing up on my pages and I think my problems started with it - Avast webrep. It is sort of like a graph on rating the pages that you visit but I never use.

When the woman was checking my computer since I gave her access to it she ran msconfig and noticed that I had 25,000 errors on my system and that some of my programs are stopped so she said that I should have this repaired by Best Buy or Avast could do it for me for $169.99 and then I have free repair service for a year if anything goes wrong.

I don't know if this is the problem with my system or this is just something that they say so I pay out big bucks to them.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

I downloaded DDS (it took over an hour to download it) but I don't know what you mean when you say to disable any script blocker.
So when I double clicked on DDS my Avast antivirus came up saying

avast has finished analysis of the program
we did not find enough evidence to identify the file as malware
however you should use extreme caution when accessing it
The program has now terminated.
For the next execution of this file do the folowing

open in the sandbox (recommended)

A script blocker stops the default Windows which allows such (which may be say VBScript and JavaScript) to run and some of these scripts can be deemed malicious. DDS uses such as script which is not ...

I do want to mention that I called Avast today and asked them about getting rid of something that has been showing up on my pages and I think my problems started with it - Avast webrep. It is sort of like a graph on rating the pages that you visit but I never use.

When the woman was checking my computer since I gave her access to it she ran msconfig and noticed that I had 25,000 errors on my system and that some of my programs are stopped so she said that I should have this repaired by Best Buy or Avast could do it for me for $169.99 and then I have free repair service for a year if anything goes wrong.

I don't know if this is the problem with my system or this is just something that they say so I pay out big bucks to them.

Hmmm giving access to your computer from a Security Vendor is at your own precognitive if it is part of the software bundle you have paid for and or may be charged for...Also I suspect giving the current issues not a lot I can advise and or assist with being honest via a online capacity...

Anyway as it stands my best/honest advice is you invoke your machines Recovery Partition, such can be done via the DataSafe Local Backup if you used to create a system image and or merely invoke your machines Recovery Partition.

mrsnhsa

mrsnhsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi,

I would like to try one more time to see if there is anything you can do to help me.

Please explain to me where I find the VBScript or Javascript and how I go about disabling it step by step so that I can try to run DDS and/or OTL.

Advertisements

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Dakeyras is unable to answer at this time, please accept our apologies. Are you still experiencing these issues?

mrsnhsa

mrsnhsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi,

Yes, I still can't scan my computer.

Since I am not really computer knowledgeable, sometimes when I am given instructions like to disable something I need a more accurate description to find what I am looking for in my control panel where the programs are since nothing comes up saying VBScript or Javascript.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Lets give it a try. You will need a USB (Flash) pendrive.

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Click on Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 11,579 posts
Are you still with us?

mrsnhsa

mrsnhsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Yes, Sorry. Things have been going crazy for me with work and all. I haven't had a chance to buy the USB Flash pendrive.

After I get the flash pendrive do I download the Farber Recovery Tool from a different computer that is not infected?

Or just download it from my computer?