Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2 pcs on network lose contact with each other: can still access intern

• Please log in to reply

Dick Vardy

Dick Vardy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a home network of 2 desktop PCs. One runs Windows 7 64bit, the other WinXP with SP3. Both have all current updates applied.
Both are wirelessly connected to a Cisco-Linksys WAG160N wireless router with Firmware Version:V1.00.16.

File and printer sharing are turned on on both machines. When the two machines are in contact, file and printer sharing works fine and they appear on the Win7 network map.

However, they regularly lose contact with each other BUT they both remain able to access the Internet via the WAG160N and appear in its ARP/RARP table.
I get no error messages, but I can see that contact has been lost when I expand the network in Windows file manager.

I can overcome the problem by powering the router off for 10 secs and then on again.

I have had this problem for some time – it also occurred with the WinXP desktop and my previous (laptop, XP) machine.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Cheers

Advertisements