Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Optiarc drive is not reading CD only DVDs

• Please log in to reply

AquamanD

AquamanD

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am helping a friend with an issue with their DVD drive. She has a Compaq Presario f572us running Windows Vista. The CD/DVD drive in question is the Optiarc DVD RW AD-7530A ATA.

It reads DVDs just fine but when I put a CD in it sounds like it starts running but does not do anything. I r-click DVD RW Drive E: and it says "Please insert a disk into DVD RW Drive (E:)." I have visited other forums and they said to update driver and I have tried this but it says that it has the latest driver installed. I also found some where they say to edit the registry for filters but the issue for those are when it is not even seeing the device at all and didn't want to try that since that is not my issue. I will if that is recommended but wanted to ask first if i should. Also there was another registry edit...

If your vista version does not have the gpedit function, do the following.
Open regedit, go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

In the right pane, if it does not already exist, create a new 32-bit DWORD value. Name the new value as NoCDBurning, and assign the value data to 1.
Reboot or logoff/logon to apply.

... But this did not work. any help would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to save her money from buying a new one.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like the laser's packed up.
If that is the case, the only resolution is a new drive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run http://www.dougknox...._cd_dvd_fix.htm
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thanks to Broni for the above instructions :thumbsup:

AquamanD

AquamanD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
SO I just finished trying all those options and it really sounds like it reads the disk but still does not recognize the cd. It still reads dvds.I think i am just going to have her get another one. Thanks for you assistance.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

it really sounds like it reads the disk but still does not recognize the cd. It still reads dvds.

This is not unusual, both functions are served by a different laser and the CD is more likely to fail as it tends to be used more frequently.
http://www.tigerdire...4&Sku=O451-1030 OEM