Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't enable ProSavageDDR chipset on P4VMM2 motherboard

• Please log in to reply

martski

martski

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm trying to go to a dual monitor set up for windows XP on my ECS EliteGroup P4VMM2 motherboard which has S3's ProSavage DDR chipset integrated on board as its display adapter.
I want to add new AGP and a PCI graphics cards into their open slots to get my dual set up.
BUT BIG MISTAKE made ! I first disabled the motherboard GPU by clicking on disable at the "display" node in the device manager and then I shut down. Upon restart with an old S3 Trio64v+ in the PCI slot I was horrified to see that nothing came up on the monitor attached to it. Not even if I tried to start with pressing F8 so that I could try booting with "enable VGA" mode.
I pulled the S3 card out of the PCI slot and tried starting up with F8 again but nothing showed up on the monitor I had attached back to the motherboard VGA plug.
Any body have ideas as to how to enable my graphics display again ?

Advertisements

martski

martski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
oh here we go . live again.
pulled the CMOS battery but I don't know if that was just a coincidence................ I powered up again and used the delete key to get me into BIOS settings ( didn't try this earlier but it should have been common sense to go to BIOS instead of F8 for boot modes), then I just used F2 key for loading default settings and she booted right up to windows XP again.
I think I'll just add the new PCI and AGP display cards without disabling the on board graphics this time to get my dual monitor set up because I think as soon as I add a card to the AGP slot the on board graphics get shut down automatic any ways

martski

martski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
dang !!!!! I'm in trouble again. I was running again and checked the device manager which told me that I was up again with the on board S3 DDR graphics chip set . I shut down to re install my CMOS battery but I must have left the start button setting on "restart" instead of "shut down" because when I came back from [moderator edit - taking a break] I saw that my PC was whirring away all powered up again but the blue death screen was showing on the monitor. I shut down with the power supply trip switch , pulled the power cord , reinstalled the CMOS battery and then tried to start up the BIOS again with the delete key . I just got the blue death screen again. Not even a beep from the POST codes.
HELP ?

Edited by Digerati, 16 January 2012 - 08:26 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
When you have been pulling the battery, and pulling and inserting cards, did you (1) unplug from the wall or turn off the PSU master switch EVERY time and (2) did you touch bare metal of the case to discharge static in your body EVERY time BEFORE reaching in and touching anything?