Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Can't find shared printer on home network

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

I have a printer installed on one of the computers in my house. I shared that printer onto the network and was able to connect to it fine from two other computers. However, I have another laptop that can't find the printer when I try to search for it. All the computers are running Windows 7 and are in the same homegroup. Unfortunately, the computer that is having problems connecting can't keep its settings in homegroup. If I turn on printer and file sharing, it just turns off after I click save. I am not sure if that has something to do with it or not.

I would really appreciate your help with this matter. Thanks for your time.

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Are these computers all connecting via Ethernet, wireless or mixed? If mixed, I would suspect a firewall issue.

Note there is a better solution - though it may cost a little bit of money. A print sever is a MUCH better solution for sharing a printer. The advantages are significant and many - not least of which is security. With a print server,

• You don't have to open up sharing on the host computer,
  • No computer has to be up and running for others to print to it,
  • The printer does not get tethered to any computer,
  • The printer can be conveniently and centrally located and not take up valuable desk space,
  • Everyone can print to it at the same time and the print server will sort the jobs out.
Some printers are already network ready with a built in print server. Some routers have a built in print server. If no print server, you can buy stand-alone print servers, such as one of these.