Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help! My ship has multiple modems set up, only some work

• Please log in to reply

Michael Cortese

Michael Cortese

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm in the navy. On my ship we used to have internet only in the common area. But recently they upgraded to internet in all of the berthings(living areas). As of late the internet in our berthing has stopped connecting top internet at all.

Our set up is like this: external cable that reminds me of a coaxial cable, leading to a modem, leading to a router.

We can all connect to the router just fine, but that's as far as we get.

all cables are plugged in, but the internet does not connect anymore. This began about 2 weeks ago and other berthings on the ship have internet.

the tech people on board refuse to help us at all so any help would be appreciative.

Thank you.

Advertisements

Michael Cortese

Michael Cortese

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Could it be something to do with the router? Maybe it needs some special type of reset?

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

I don't want to get you or myself in to trouble so I won't ask for specifics and advise that you don't disclose anything about the equipment you are using.

If everyone else can get internet access, it would suggest that there is no outbound networking fault on your vessel and that the problem is isolated to your berth.

I'd say that either the router is damaged or your systems team have disconnected your cabin for some reason.

If the router is damaged, turning it off and then on or unplugging it for a couple of minutes may correct the problem. Having said that, I doubt you will be allowed to do this and you might get in trouble (I'd ask for permission first)

If your systems team have disconnected you, then they are the only ones that can reconnect you.

Nothing else springs to mind as to why this is happening to you.