Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection keeps dropping out at computer end

• Please log in to reply

mitchy210

mitchy210

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all.
I've been experiencing intermittent problems for a while now with my internet connection. It goes something like this. I will connect up a normally using Acer enet management through an integrated Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG network connection via a Netgear DG834GT wireless router on Windows Vista 32-bit updated to SP2. I will then start doing some downloading and after about 10 to 15 minutes my connection cuts off with no warning. I then go into the settings for the wireless card and change the ad hoc channel 802.11a to one of the other channels (choice of 36, 40,44,48 or Auto) and after pressing OK I reconnect my internet connection and it fires up first time. Then after the same amount of time I have to do it all over again. Any thoughts as to how this is happening and how I can stop it. I have Norton Internet Security 2012 installed. Normal browsing does not seem to cause this although I did have some issues a couple of months back which were solved by the same route but not with the same issue (or so I have been thinking since that initial fix!). Can anybody help me???

Cheers

Mitchy210

Advertisements

risingphoenix1985

risingphoenix1985

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Hello,

There could be a few reasons why this is happening, could you open the event viewer (Windows key + "R" Type "eventvwr.msc" click "OK") open up the windows logs (on the left) and look in there for any errors or warnings.

If you find any that happened aroud the time of the drop out, can you paste them here?