Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Jailbreaking american smartphones

• Please log in to reply

Wegente

Wegente

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone, I've recently come to know about the new Verizon Wireless offers for smartphones (for example Iphone 4S with a 2-year contract at 199$) and I would like to buy one of them, however here's the problem: I live in Europe and I know that american smartphones are blocked, which means I won't be able to use them with an european SIM. Is there any way for me to overcome this problem, for example through the use of jailbreak, or it's impossible to unlock an american smartphone to make it work with european SIMs? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Jailbreaking has nothing much to do with using sim cards. It is more for using unauthorized apps. Unlocking is what you want to do.

Below is from Macworld magazine.

Verizon iPhone 4 owners, however, don't have the option of GSM roaming at all, and can only make calls and use cellular data in countries that support CDMA. All that changes with the iPhone 4S, however -- Macworld has confirmed that Sprint will sell its version of the device with the Micro SIM slot unlocked, with Verizon offering free unlocking to customers after the first 60 days of service. iPhone 4S owners will then be able to purchase a Micro SIM overseas, allowing them to access data and make calls at local rates, for a fraction of what it would cost to roam. AT&T iPhone 4S owners won't have this option, however, so if you make frequent trips overseas, this benefit alone may be enough to justify purchasing the phone through Sprint or Verizon, saving some users hundreds or thousands of dollars in international roaming fees.

Verizon says,
"The iPhone 4S works like all of our global phones. The phone comes in box with a SIM locked to our network and the network of our roaming partners including Vodafone, one of our parent companies. Customers sign up for a Verizon Wireless voice plan (beginning at $39.99 for 450 min.) and a data plan beginning at 2GB for $30. When they choose to go out of the country, they should call Verizon Wireless and sign up for a global plan. The customer can also request to have the SIM unlocked if they want to use a local service while out of the country. The request needs to be made prior to leaving the country, their bill must be current and the phone must be active on the account for 60 days before we will unlock the SIM."

It’s worth noting that the iPhone 4S uses a microSIM card instead of a regular SIM, which means finding one might be a bit more difficult.

There's also this.

http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1274057

SRX660

dowsp

dowsp

• PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
Hi,

I bought a IPhone 4 on ebay and found it to be locked ( after I was told it was unlocked)

I had bought a new UK SIM and was led to believe that I could get the phone to work on the UK Sim.

BUT I found that the phone would NOT connect to Itunes..and I got a message saying it wouldnt connect for some specific reason,,I cant recall the exact script.

I was going to send it back and take it up with ebay after the seller initialy ignored me...

I contacted Apple to enquire over the phone and they asked me for the serial number to check the details..they told me that it was shown on their records as having been repaired after replacing with another..and still in their premises..and that they didnt know How the seller had obtained it..

I eventually got a reply from the seller and he said he didnt understand what may have happened.and he said the phone had been working..but on a AT&T sim.

Apple had informed me once they were given details from the seller by means a a proof of purchase that they would unlock it.
They said to send the phone back to the seller or contact ebay if he could not for a refund and initiallyt I started to do this.

They did say that I phones once unlocked would work on ANY SIM.

I was later informed by the seller he suggested that I got the phone unlocked or using special free online software that could jailbreak it...He said IF I sent it ack to him that he would jailbreak it..at the time I didnt know what this meant..

So I got curious...I thought that jailbreaking was unlocking the phone.

I obtained some information on jailbreaking the phone and attempted it...and managed to do it to some degree..

It did connect to itunes and started a process toload other Apps etc..but my laptop didnt have enough disc space to allow the proces to complete...

Also I managed to load a program called CYDIA that I believe will
allow the I phone to complete the jail break process and be used
ok everytime you switch it on and off..

otherwise from what I understand if you swith the phone off, without completing cyda..you have to jailbreak it each time..

It also worked on wifi on safari which I was led to believe that it wouldnt actually work on safari and that id have to use another browser...

I still was unsure if Id also unlocked it...

The phone worked ok for a few days on safari wifi..

BUT it froze up on safari after id opened 8 webpages and I was unable to unfreeze it.

So I was unable to use this function...in the end I switched the phone off...and unfortunately since I have not been able to switch it back on to work correctly..seems I need to jail break it again... but at the moment my laptop has come up with a windows system 32 confi system error and wont work..

When I was considering seriously sending back this I phone fro a refund after Ebay had told me that they would guarantee id get my money back...

I saw another I phone 4 and bid for it and won it..

This said it was working on a AT&T sim..

After my last experience...Id been told by apple I phones could be unlocked and once they were that they would work on any SIM..

WELL !!!... I am sorry to say that I had been informed incorrectly.... I have since found out that if it is a USA phone on an initial AT&T contract.. that some AT&T phones are unlockable and will only wok on AT&T sims..and that means that they wont work on any other sim or work outside the USA UNLESS you take out what is known as an international contract with them.

SO you have to be VERY careful when buying a 2nd hand phone especially on Ebay..

I am told however that SOME more later AT&T phones can be unlocked.

I did find a $24 software program that claims to unlock most I Phones. and it allowed you to enter a serial type number to check if that phone was unlockable...The one I had did say it was unlockable...

BUT I am still unlear if I jailbreak it IF I can then obtain and use a UK sim on it.. OR DO YOU have to have it specially Unlocked...in order to use a different SIM ?

Can any one advise Why My initial I phone froze up on safari and what you can do if it does freeze up ?

Also can you expain if jailbreaking a phone that you can then obtain and use a sim to make phone calls ?

Thank you

Dowsp.

Samantha Lee

Samantha Lee

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I'm not exactly techie so don't anyone jump down my throat if the information I give is incorrect. The information below is based on my experience working as a Customer Service Representative for a major USA cell phone company and (later on) a major Canadian cell phone company.

To unlock a phone, you typically have to contact the cell phone provider the phone 'belongs' to. The phone usually must not have a contract (i.e. it's expired or been paid out) and there is an additional fee for unlocking the phone. It is possible that you can unlock a phone by contacting the manufacturer, but I haven't heard of anyone successfully doing this.

Unlocked phones are not guarenteed to work for other providers or in other countries. Also unlocked phones can have problems when used on their source provider.

I've recently come to know about the new Verizon Wireless offers for smartphones (for example Iphone 4S with a 2-year contract at 199$)

Keep in mind that the 2yr contract pricing requires a 2yr contract, the current 'Full Retail Price' for the iPhone 4s is $649.99USD at Verizon. This is the pricing you would need to pay, then you would also need to pay whatever unlocking and shipping fees required. Additionally, if you don't already have a micro sim card for your provider, you'll need to purchase one.

All this plus there is no guarentee that the phone will even work.

My advice, get a phone with your current provider. If cost is an issue, look for lower cost 'outright price' phones that you can get without a contract.