Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memorex Travel Drive won't start in Window 7

• Please log in to reply

ChrisCorbett

ChrisCorbett

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I recently purchased a new Dell Inspiron 15r with Windows 7 64 Bit OS. I have an old Memorex 256 Travel Drive. Windows 7 will not start up nor shut down with the Travel Drive plugged into any/all USB ports. Windows 7 will not automatically start the Travel Drive and only does so randomly. I have only had this brand new computer for 3 weeks but the situation seems to be deteriorating as the Travel Drive won't start at all, so far, today. It's difficult to find information on a fix. I have tried to update U3 Launch Pad. The U3 Launch Pad update requires the Travel Drive to be plugged into a USB port but since Windows 7 won't start the Travel Drive, the download does not identify the Travel Drive is present and plugged into the USB port and fails to install. I need a solution to this problem as it's hampering my ability to access necessary files I need for my business and work. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi ChrisCorbett ... :wave: ..:welcome:
can any other computer "see" the drive and the data on it

ChrisCorbett

ChrisCorbett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for your reply. To answer your question, I believe so. I did not have any issues with this travel drive prior to receiving delivery of my new lap top about 3 weeks ago. That's when I first noticed there was a problem and have been searching for an adequate fix ever since. This computer seems to want to start the Travel Drive normally while Windows 7 is beginning to boot up as the little blue light displays the familiar sequence flashing pattern but the Windows 7 boot/start up freezes until I remove the Travel Drive. Over the past 3 weeks, the Travel Drive has been able to start up but it always seems to take 5 to 30 minutes before it starts. Today, it has yet to start up. When it is not starting up, the little blue light flashes at a rate of about 1 flash per second so I know the drive is not dead.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first copy the data to the computer that can read the drive...then format the drive while its still connected to the computer that can read the drive...when done copy the data back to the drive ...and this is important...use the safe to remove drive icon in the system tray and when it says its safe to remove...unplug it and then plug it into your new computer and see if it can see the data...

remember this...data you don't have at least 2 copies of is data you really don't care about

ChrisCorbett

ChrisCorbett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks. I will try your suggestion, cross my fingers and hope it all works out. I will post the results here either with success or failure. Thanks again. Is that Snake Plissken?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
nope ...its me... :upset:

ChrisCorbett

ChrisCorbett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I haven't tried your fix yet but, interestingly, my Travel Drive finally popped on. It's only been plugged into my USB for the last 7 hours. I'll let you know how it goes.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
follow my instructions from the post earlier

ChrisCorbett

ChrisCorbett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
So far so good. I think that may have done the trick. The travel drive loads without delay. Thanks again, Tech Plissken!

ChrisCorbett

ChrisCorbett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey, my laptop went into sleep mode and now my travel drive is comatose again.

Advertisements

ChrisCorbett

ChrisCorbett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Anyway, I got my files off of there. Time for a new drive.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try just unplugging it and replugging it in...remember to use the safely remove icon in the system tray

ChrisCorbett

ChrisCorbett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
After booting up my computer this morning seems like same sh*t, different day. Travel drive is back on it's 1 blue light flash per second. Nothing has changed. Unplugging and replugging is not a viable solution, apparently.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
its probably some of the software on the flash drive causing the issue...like I said before try formatting the drive if you want to use it...

more on Windows 7 - reduced support for AutoRun when using with a USB flash drive here

ChrisCorbett

ChrisCorbett

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The flash drive is currently empty after the reformat yesterday. I didn't see the point in reloading it with files until I knew for sure that the fix would work.