Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Solid State Drive / BootMGR error

• Please log in to reply

rhymin

rhymin

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi, I am upgrading my hard drive to a Sansdisk Solid State Hard Drive 120 GB. I also have a 7200 RPM Western Digital (WD) 500 GB Hard Drive that I am currently using. I would like to install the operating system on the SSD though and use the WD 500GB for other programs. I have never used 2 Hard drives before. Last week, I just took out my WD and put those sata cables in the SSD. I didn't reformat or anything. I got an error that said BOOTMGR is missing. I am wondering the correct way to go about this so I don't get this error again, as it was difficult to overcome. I knew all I had to do was put in the Windows 7 disc and repair windows, but every time I tried that, the screen went blank and I had to restart. I finally left the PC off overnight and tried again the next morning. It worked and repaired fine. I really do not want to run into this problem again. What is the correct way to go about this without getting that BOOTMGR error? Do I need to reformat my WD hard drive first and plug both of them into SATA at the same time? I am using Windows 7 64 bit.

Advertisements

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Can anyone help? Thanks.

Edited by rhymin, 24 January 2012 - 10:40 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,773 posts
See if this is any help http://www.sevenforu...indows-7-a.html

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I've decided to just return my SSD. It has just caused too many problems.

Now it says "Operating System is missing".

It won't even let me reinstall windows because my screen always goes blank after a few minutes, even in bios.

I have no idea what to do, I am getting really frustrated as I need my pc for school.

Ever dealt with the screen always going blank after a few minutes of restarting it?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,773 posts

Ever dealt with the screen always going blank after a few minutes of restarting it?

There are more than one possible cause heat, bad PSU and drivers for example.
Please provide your systems hardware details.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Well it worked fine until I tried plugging in both the SSD and WD HDD at the same time, and then trying to reformat my WD HDD. Then it started going blank every time I try to boot from Windows 7 disc.

My hardware specs:

- XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossfireX Support Video Card (I am using 2 of these and running crossfire)
- Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM (8GB of RAM total)
- ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
- AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
- Windows 7 64-bit

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,773 posts
What is the brand and model of your PSU please?

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

I had this problem happen last week though when I first plugged in both hard drives at the same time, but I was able to repair windows after leaving my PC off overnight, and the next morning it worked. I'm not sure if it is because I left the PC unplugged and it reset the CMOS or if I just got lucky and it gave me just enough time to repair windows when BOOTMGR was missing. Now it says operating system is missing.

I know I could fix the problem if it let me reinstall Windows, but the screen just keeps going blank (it's not the monitor either because I have several and have tried more than one).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,773 posts
The PSU is more than capable of running your set-up then.
What type of Windows 7 disk are you using?

I will be going offline shortly until around 1700hrs UK time but someone else may help meanwhile.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I am using a Windows 7 64 bit disc that I downloaded and copied to a disc myself when windows 7 first came out. It is the same one I installed windows from. But the screen also goes blank when I am in bios too, so I don't think it is the Windows disc.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Did you pay for the download?
What site did you use?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,773 posts

I am using a Windows 7 64 bit disc that I downloaded and copied to a disc myself when windows 7 first came out.

Where did you download the disk from please?

But the screen also goes blank when I am in bios too, so I don't think it is the Windows disc.

First I suggest removing the SSD and see if the issue persists, if it does then remove one of the video cards, if it still persists swap the video cards around and finally if the problem still persists try the video cards in the unused video card slot and see if that shows any different results.
Update us when you can.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Bingo, it was the top video card.

I took it out and everything worked fine.

You guys are awesome, thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,773 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:
Glad you got it sorted but sorry to hear it was your graphics card :(