Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware issues?

• Please log in to reply

Dark_Star_Qc

Dark_Star_Qc

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Hello,

I just finished cleaning up my computer with the help of one of your techs in the security forum. I explained some problems I am having when turning the computer on and off. We ran some scans and he told me to open a post here.

This is the link to the post I had in the security forum. The problems I'm having are discussed on page 3 (as well as the logs from the scans I ran).

Help: RelevantKnowledge

Essentially, sometimes, when I turn the computer off, I can't turn it back on. One of the fans (I don't know which) starts running very loudly and nothing happens. The computer just doesn't boot.

In another instance, the fan was running normally, the Acer screen appeared, but it just froze there.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi Dark_Star_Qc

You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

The start up and fan problems may both be caused by or relate to the PSU (power supply unit) if this is a desktop, please provide the additional information so the relevant guidance can be offered.

Dark_Star_Qc

Dark_Star_Qc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Well, now I have a serious problem. The computer (which is a desktop) was on when I went to bed last night... and off when I got up this morning. And the problem now seems to be permanent. I've tried turning it on many times this morning, it just won't boot.

I guess there isn't much you can do to help now?

Make: Acer

Model: Aspire M5640

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53 GHz 2.53 GHz

RAM: 3,00 GB

Since I can no longer get into my computer, this is all the info I can give you, taken from my previous posts in the security forum.

Edited by Dark_Star_Qc, 18 January 2012 - 12:14 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

I've tried turning it on many times this morning, it just won't boot.

Any signs of life at all such as powering up but no display?

I guess there isn't much you can do to help now?

We will do our best for you.

Can you confirm http://reviews.cnet....ag=mncol;subnav as your computer.

Dark_Star_Qc

Dark_Star_Qc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
It does power up, but as I said, some fan is running very loudly. No display at all. If I try turning the monitor off and on again, I get "No signal".

The link you sent me is for a same model computer, but not same processor. Mine is Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53 GHz 2.53 GHz

Also, not same hard drive storage. Mine is 320GB.

The rest looks pretty much the same, but I couldn't know for sure.

I called Microbytes this afternoon. They told me to bring in my power supply, they will test it for me. If that is the problem, I will get a replacement. However, if it works O.K., I have no idea what to do next :-(

Edited by Dark_Star_Qc, 18 January 2012 - 03:12 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Yes I did note the slight difference in the specs, it was the size of the case and the PSU I was hoping to determine, if you are comfortable opening up your case there are things that you can check for yourself, starting with cleaning out the inside of your case, checking fans and connections for example, see below;

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan.
Make sure If all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the psu details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

Dark_Star_Qc

Dark_Star_Qc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
My son tried taking the video card out, but we can't figure out how. We got the power supply tested, it was dead. Bought a new one, just finished installing it. Computer still won't boot. The fan running very loudly is the processor fan.

Dark_Star_Qc

Dark_Star_Qc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Update: when installing the new power supply, we missed a connection to the motherboard. I just spoke on the telephone with someone I know who told me to check all the connections again. I'm writing this from my own computer... :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Please let us know how you get on.
MBs and PSUs can be different, some MBs have a 4 pin 12V ATX connection + a 20 pin main power connection but the more modern MBs may have a 4+4 and a 20+4 connection and this can lead to confusion unless you read your manuals, there are variations so if you need help let us know :thumbsup:

Dark_Star_Qc

Dark_Star_Qc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

MBs and PSUs can be different, some MBs have a 4 pin 12V ATX connection + a 20 pin main power connection but the more modern MBs may have a 4+4 and a 20+4 connection

Yup, that's where we got confused. We found the 20+4 pin easily enough, but when it came to the 4-pin, we had no such connection coming out of the PSU. The only thing we had was an 8 pin... until we figured out that in fact, that 8 pin came apart to form 2 4-pin connections... ;)

It's running fine... better than fine, it hasn't been this fast in a long time (guess that's all the cleanup I did with Compcav in the security forum).

The only thing is: I didn't turn it off before going to bed last night... was afraid it wouldn't boot again. I guess I'll have to try sooner or later, so I'll do so tonight... and let you know what happens.

Do you still want to have a look at it with me to make sure nothing else is wrong?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Thank you for your update - we like progress :yes:
We will be more than happy to offer you further assistance if it is required, let us know how you wish to proceed.

Dark_Star_Qc

Dark_Star_Qc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Well, I don't know. Are there any kind of scans to run to make sure the hardware and operating system are all OK?

Mind you, I wouldn't want to take up your time given that everything seems to be running fine now. I'm sure other people here need help more urgently than I do.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Mind you, I wouldn't want to take up your time given that everything seems to be running fine now. I'm sure other people here need help more urgently than I do.

No worries - you let us know when you are happy that your computer is running as you would like it to :thumbsup:

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

Once you have provided the url I will provide details of a couple of other things for you to do.

Dark_Star_Qc

Dark_Star_Qc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Good morning, hope you are well :)

Here is the url: PitStop

Thank you!

Edited by Dark_Star_Qc, 21 January 2012 - 10:02 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi there, I am fine thank you and hope that you are also :thumbsup:

As a priority I suggest that you uninstall µTorrent (2.0.0) torrents are an area that cyber criminals frequent and you are putting yourself at risk of malware attack and/or possible identity theft.

Please return to the PCPitstop results and with the exception of any drivers for now address the items that have a red X against them, if you hover the cursor over the item you will be given a description of the issue and if you click on it you will be instructed how to correct the problem, post back when you have done this.

I will look over the rest of your results while you are completing the above, I have asked that you leave the drivers for now until I have looked into them further as newer drivers are not always better and can actually cause you problems, I will elaborate a bit more later.