Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Run Any Programs [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

grobbie

grobbie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi!

My computer won't let me run any programs since two weeks ago while I was browsing through the net. Depending on the program it will either say : Application not found. Or, for when it runs the internet, it opens a new window where it says choose program to open this file with, and then in order to get on the internet I have to press the link where it says run to search the Microsoft database to find the program you would need to open the file. I can't run my antivirus programs or anything else except the internet because of the fact that it has to open it to look through the database in the strangest way. Can someone help me? Is there anyway to fix the computer? What do I need to do to fix it?

If you need any more information about this, or my computer, notify me at my email address: >removed<. I will get back to the forums as soon as possible. Please help me!

Edited by Dakeyras, 19 January 2012 - 05:49 AM.
Removed OP's email address for online safety reasons.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. :)

Can you confirm for myself please if your machine is using the Windows 7 Operating System and if so do you have a Windows 7 installation DVD or not?

Also what make and modal is your machine please.

grobbie

grobbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,
Sorry for the late reply. I really don't know much about my computer or computers in general.
My friend made the post, and she's coming to help me out with everything tomorrow. So I should have all the information by then!
Dx Thank you!!

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
OK, not a problem and thank you for the courtesy of informing myself...

I will further add, any instructions I provide you should be able to both follow and understand. :)

grobbie

grobbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. :)

Can you confirm for myself please if your machine is using the Windows 7 Operating System and if so do you have a Windows 7 installation DVD or not?

Also what make and modal is your machine please.

The computer is a Toshiba Satellite A300 Series System Unit and it does run on Windows 7 OS. Unfortunately, according to the Recovery Information guide inside the manual they strongly recommend that you create a recovery DVD before using the system, and so there are no recovery disks for the system except in the hard drive partition.

I will be glad to give you anymore information but if the laptop needs the system to be completely recovered, please inform me ahead of time because she may want to find someone to fix it because there is some valuable information on the system she wishes to keep.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

The computer is a Toshiba Satellite A300 Series System Unit and it does run on Windows 7 OS. Unfortunately, according to the Recovery Information guide inside the manual they strongly recommend that you create a recovery DVD before using the system, and so there are no recovery disks for the system except in the hard drive partition.

OK and thanks for the information.

I will be glad to give you anymore information but if the laptop needs the system to be completely recovered, please inform me ahead of time because she may want to find someone to fix it because there is some valuable information on the system she wishes to keep.

I will bare this in mind, lets try for a few relatively easy options first before I consider a different avenue of approach as follows...

Windows 7 LKGC:

Start-up the computer and during the POST(Power On Self Test) sequence continually depress Function Key 8(F8) to bring up the Advanced Boot Options screen.

Use the arrow keys to scroll down and select Last Know Good Configuration (advanced) and hit the Enter/Return key.

If the machine still has the same issues afterwards, proceed to the below...

Add the Run... box for Windows 7:

• Click on Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> right click on a empty space on the Start Menu and select Properties.
  • Now click on the Start Menu >> then on Customize....
  • Scroll down and select the Run Command box >> OK >> Apply >> OK.
Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc

Note: the below can only be done if the machine has a a type of CD/R or DVD/R optical drive installed. Also depending on the exact type of OEM the machine has you may be unable to actually create a SRD.

• Click on Start(Windows 7 Orb) >> Run..., then copy/paste the following command into the box and click on OK:

recdisc.exe
  • Allow the UAC(User Account Control) prompt via selecting Yes.
  • You should now see a menu like the below:-
Posted Image
  • Put a blank rewritable CD/DVD in your optical(CD/DVD) drive and then click on Create disc.
  • Note: If a AutoPlay window pops up, just close it.
  • When the SRD has been created you will see the below:-
Posted Image
  • Now click on Close >> OK. Leave the disc in the drive as we will be using it shortly.
  • You now have a Windows 7 System Repair Disc.
Run Windows 7 SRD:

Actually boot from the Windows 7 SRD disc.

• If not sure how to, a very good tutorial can be read here.
  • You will have to answer a few basic questions then select the option Repair your computer
  • At the the System Recovery Options screen click Windows 7 to highlight then Next>
  • Now click on/select Startup Repair
  • If prompted to use System Restore, select Cancel.
  • The same if prompted to Send information about this problem (recommended), select Don't send.
  • Click Finish when Startup Repair has completed, remove the SRD disc and then click on Restart
Next:

Let myself know the outcome of all of the above if tried. Positive or not and we will proceed from there, thank you.

grobbie

grobbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
We tried both the methods, but none worked. The last reboot was during the time of the virus, when windows did an update. Also, it won't let us run the command center, saying a similar thing it does when we try to open other programs.

What will happen now?

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

What will happen now?

We will merely try something else, thanks for the update also.

If the need do you have access to another machine in-case we need to transfer some tools or not?

Note: The below will auto run in admin mode so no need to right-click upon and run in admin mode etc as some of the executable extensions will not have that feature anyway if tried.

Download/run Rkill:

Please download Rkill from one of the following links and save to your Desktop:

(If one fails to work delete it and download/try another):

One, Two,Three, Four or Five

Note: If your security software warns about Rkill, please ignore and allow the download to continue.

• Double click on Rkill.
  • A command window will open then disappear upon completion, this is normal.
  • Please leave Rkill on the Desktop until otherwise advised.
Note: A logfile will have been created, it can be located at the root of your installed Hard-Drive. EG: C:\rkill.txt.

Scan with RogueKiller:

Please download RogueKiller to your desktop

Alternate download is here.

• Quit all running programs .
  • Right-click on RogueKiller.exe and select Run as Administrator to start the application.
  • When prompted, type 1 then depress the Enter/Return key.
  • The RKreport.txt shall be generated next to the executable.
  • If the program is blocked, do not hesitate to try several times. If it really does not work (it could happen), rename it to winlogon.exe
Please post the contents of both rkill.txt and RKreport.txt in your next reply.

grobbie

grobbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
RogueKiller V6.2.4 [01/12/2012] by Tigzy
mail: tigzyRK<at>gmail<dot>com
Blog: http://tigzyrk.blogspot.com

Operating System: Windows 7 (6.1.7601 Service Pack 1) 64 bits version
Started in : Normal mode
User: Megan [Admin rights]
Mode: Scan -- Date : 01/23/2012 18:10:22

¤¤¤ Bad processes: 0 ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ Registry Entries: 2 ¤¤¤
[HJ] HKLM\[...]\NewStartPanel : {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee} (1) -> FOUND
[HJ] HKLM\[...]\NewStartPanel : {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} (1) -> FOUND

¤¤¤ Particular Files / Folders: ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ Driver: [NOT LOADED] ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ Infection : ¤¤¤

¤¤¤ HOSTS File: ¤¤¤
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost

¤¤¤ MBR Check: ¤¤¤

+++++ PhysicalDrive0: +++++
--- User ---
[MBR] 0c45455900d8a1fddab9f9c49a2aeab8
[BSP] a4c6be7887a9e2071ffb018efd3f21ea : Windows 7 MBR Code
Partition table:
0 - [XXXXXX] NTFS [HIDDEN!] Offset (sectors): 2048 | Size: 1572 Mo
1 - [ACTIVE] NTFS [VISIBLE] Offset (sectors): 3074048 | Size: 239968 Mo
2 - [XXXXXX] NTFS [HIDDEN!] Offset (sectors): 471762944 | Size: 8516 Mo
User = LL1 ... OK!
User = LL2 ... OK!

Finished : << RKreport[1].txt >>
RKreport[1].txt

-----

This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.
Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you.
Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.

Rkill was run on 01/23/2012 at 18:07:41.
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

Rkill completed on 01/23/2012 at 18:07:46.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

If the need do you have access to another machine in-case we need to transfer some tools or not?

I take it this is a no then? Though saying that it appears we may not need to resort too this...

Re-scan with RogueKiller:

• Quit all running programs.
  • Right-click on RogueKiller.exe and select Run as Administrator to start the application.
  • When prompted, type 2 then depress the Enter/Return key.
  • The RKreport.txt shall be generated next to the executable.
  • If the program is blocked, do not hesitate to try several times. If it really does not work (it could happen), rename it to winlogon.exe
Scan with OTL:

Please download OTL and save it to your Desktop.

Alternate downloads are here and here.

• Right-click on OTL.exe and select Run as Administrator to start OTL.
  • Under Output, ensure that Minimal Output is selected.
  • Under Extra Registry section, select Use SafeList.
  • Click the Scan All Users checkbox.
  • Click on Run Scan at the top left hand corner.
  • When done, two Notepad files will open.
    • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized
  • Please post the contents of these 2 Notepad files in your next reply.
When completed the above, please post back the following in the order asked for:

• How is your computer performing now, any further symptoms and or problems encountered?
  • New RogueKiller Log.
  • Both OTL logs. <-- Post them individually please, IE: one Log per post/reply.

grobbie

grobbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry about that, I don't know how I missed that question. We do have access to another computer of a similar model, however it is a computer we are temporarily borrowing so I'm not sure it would be a good idea to transfer the tools if there were any chance of failure on the computers part. However,I will make sure that the computers get scanned as soon as I can, I'm waiting for my friend to respond back to me.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
OK and not a problem. :)

grobbie

grobbie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry about the delay, but it got fixed somehow. I don't know how, but it's fixed. Thank you so much for your help.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
OK, fair play and your most welcome! Thank you for the courtesy of informing myself also. :)

Next:

This is a very helpful/useful set of advice from Microsoft: Microsoft Safety & Security Center

Any questions? Feel free to ask, if not stay safe!

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.