Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Paging File in win XP

• Please log in to reply

mr_sledgeka

mr_sledgeka

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi

Every time i log into windows i keep getting this error message 'Error Message: Your System Has No Paging File, or the Paging File Is Too Small.'. It tells how to addjust etc. I have adjusted many times and followed microsoft's guide but the problem still persists and causing chrome to crash and other applications. I'm at my wits end!!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315270

Ever since I upgraded to sp3 this nagging problem has started. Any experts can help with this.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable others to better assist you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How much total memory also as that may be the root cause for the page file issue. :thumbsup:

mr_sledgeka

mr_sledgeka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I'm sorry I've been away for awhile.

I'm using a Dell Desktop Computer bought in 2004 here are the details of the machine 'MS Windows XP Home SP3, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHZ, 1.0 RAM, Nividia Geforce FX 5200.'

If you need anymore details please let me know. The problem is driving me nuts and causing programs to crash. if it carries I will need to take drastic action such as wipe XP and reinstall.

Cheers :blink:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :thumbsup:

Then please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

mr_sledgeka

mr_sledgeka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for your reply phillpower2 I will follow your instructions and post the results tomorrow, :thumbsup:

mr_sledgeka

mr_sledgeka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Here's the Test Results scan from PC Pitstop Overdrive http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24843886

Attached is a Screen pic of my Hard Drives.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• Hard Drives Screen Shot.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
There are a couple of things of note in your PCPitstop results but one in particular should be addressed before you do anything else, µTorrent (1.8.2)
Torrents are an area that cyber criminals frequent, they should be avoided at all cost as you are vulnerable to attack from malware and identity theft etc, see the canned speech below as to what you should do first;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Additional guidance;
1: Do not create a topic on the malware forum unless you have a malware issue that you cannot resolve yourself.
2: If you do need to start a topic there provide a link to this thread so that steps that have already been taken can be checked.
3: As the Malware Techs are extremely busy you may not receive an instant reply, if you have waited for three days then post in the Waiting Room http://www.geekstogo...e-waiting-room/ be sure to identify the issue as malware related and provide a link to your malware topic.

Good luck with the above and please keep us advised as to how you get on.

mr_sledgeka

mr_sledgeka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
To be honest I don't suspect this problem to be malware unless the Test results tell us otherwise.

I had problems with XP that I had a blackout one night when the power came back on I tried to log onto windows and the blue log-in screen just froze and the pC would not load windows. I place the Recovery XP Disc and it suggest I restore XP to its original settings without losing my current settings. When i was able to log in windows tells me I need to upgrade to SP3 which I did but then the current virtual Paging File error started(which I explained in my first post).

Could we look at other options than going through the Malware Tests? If not I will post in Malware Forum but don't want to waste more time when it's not Malware. I clean my PC every day. This problem has been plaguing me for months.

Also would this be causing window applications and Browsers to crash?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts
Where torrents are concerned it is recommended that you check your system for malware.
Dealing with malware is a specialized area and only the Malware Techs on those forums can assist you if indeed malware is present on your system, you will however note that the GTG canned malware speech does say that if the issue is not malware related and you have been given the all clear by the Malware Techs but the issue is not resolved then return to your original Tech topic to continue.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You may have a damage paging file, if so here is how to change it.

At Control Panel | System | Advanced, click Settings in the “Performance” Section. On the Advanced page of the result, the current total physical size of all page files that may be in existence is shown. Click Change to make settings for the Virtual memory operation. Here you can select any drive partition and set either ‘Custom’; ‘System Managed’ or ‘No page file’; then always click Set before going on to the next partition.

By defaults your page file is on your drive C: if you have more than one partition or Hard Drives you can set a new page file on them D: E: or...

If you have another partition to put the new page file then you will need to change the one on your C: to NO PAGING FILE

If you only have a C: partition you will need to choose the NO PAGING FILE save it and reboot and after the reboot go back and set a new PAGING FILE on your C:

Take note that if you choose custom then that you should put 1.5 X the total memory of your physical ram: if 2gb ram then put the pagefile at 3gb, if 1,5 gb ram then put it at 2,25gb ect

Hope this will help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 17 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

mr_sledgeka

mr_sledgeka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 17 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Sorry been away for alittle while.

Yes this problem still persists I follow your directions and Microsoft's directions and still occurs even if I put no paging file. I tried to locate the file in the windows system to delete it and could not find it even when showing hidden files. It is obviously corrupted. any other ideas?

Edited by mr_sledgeka, 04 May 2012 - 12:04 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A If you have more than one RAM module installed, try starting computer with one RAM stick at a time.

NOTE Keep in mind, the manual check listed above is always superior to the software check, listed below. DO NOT proceed with memtest, if you can go with option A

B. If you have only one RAM stick installed...
...run memtest...

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while. Be patient, or leave it running overnight.

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the “errors” line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

mr_sledgeka

mr_sledgeka

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hello rshaffer61

I follow your directions as soon as I deal with the Malware pressing issue which is not related to this problem. See the Malware Thread. :thumbsup: