Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys Easylink Advisor Not Running

• Please log in to reply

mid01

mid01

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I installed Linksys Easylink Advisor along with the Linksys router a few years ago. Recently the Advisor stopped running and when I tried to start it I received the following message: "Pure Networks Platform Service has encountered a problem and needs to close." This is the same message I get each time I start up the computer which adds some extra time to the start up process because this application cannot start. Once I get this message the rest of the startup process completes without any problems. This problem does not appear to be causing me any other issues as I can access the internet,share files, and printers. I started to get this same message from my laptop and removed Linksys Easylink Advisor but still received the same message at startup. So now I need some advice on how to resolve this issue.

Regards, mid01

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Sorry you have waited for a reply.

Go Control panel
Adminstrative tools
Services
Find
Pure Networks service
Double click to open the service
What is the start configuration type - automatic or manual.
Click the dependencies tab and exmaine the dependencies ON the service and FROM the service.
If there are none and the service is running STOP the service.
The change the start type to Disabled.
Exit with apply a\nd Ok as required.

If there are dependencies please post details

Also see this please especially message 7 of 9.
http://homecommunity...link/td-p/54546

mid01

mid01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello Macboatmaster,

Thanks for the reply. No problem on waiting as I understand that people are donating their time. I did as you suggested and found the Pure Networks Platform Service which was set to automatic, and was currently stopped. I checked dependencies and found that Pure Networks Platform Service was dependent on Windows Management Instrumentation, and that this service was currently started, and that Pure Networks Platform Service itself had no services dependent on it. I then disabled Pure Networks Platform Service on both my desktop and laptop and rebooted each computer and saw that the "Pure Networks Platform Service has encountered a problem and needs to close" message was now gone at startup. I am wondering if I should just remove the Linksys Easylink Advisor program as this is what caused the Pure Networks Platform Service mesaage to begin with. Thank you for your time and suggestion which solved the problem. My understanding is that I can get along without the Linksys Easylink Advisor program.

Regards, mid01

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thank you for posting the reply and for your understanding.

You would be amazed how many people ask for help, and do not even trouble themselves to acknowledge the reply.

I am a great believer in if it is not broken do not fix it.

If you are not encountering any problems whatsoever with that EasyLink Advisor, I would just leave it.

If the computer is running Ok and booting and loading Windows to your satisfaction - then leave things as they are is my recommendation.

If you do find you have any unexpected messages then you can always post back and we can work further on the issue.

Thanks again
Macboatmaster

mid01

mid01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,

This forum helped me a few years back when a nasty malware infection completely shut down my computer's access to the internet. I had to restore the computer to the point where I could then contact GeeksToGo to complete the repair. I was very greatful then as now for the forums's help. I agree that since things are working just fine that I will do nothing else and just see if I get any more problems. For now, thanks again for your help!

Regards, mid01

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are welcome.