Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new CPU causes computer to lockup

• Please log in to reply

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
here's my system specs.....

OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 512 / 400, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1535 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200, 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 152617 MB, Free - 137434 MB;
Motherboard: ECS, P4VMM2
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

i changed my CPU from an intel celeron 1.7GHz / 128 / 400, to the one listed above.

now my system randomly locks up on me, and the only way out is to shut it off.

i'm just trying to speed this thing up a little bit, untill i get the money saved to buy a newer one.

any idea's why this is locking up ?? the motherboard lists this new (used) CPU as being compatible......

i'm pretty computer illiterate, so please keep this in mind. although, i am pretty mechanicaly inclined....for whatever that's worth....LOL

what do you think ?? i hate the thought of putting the original CPU back into this thing. it would take 60 seconds or more, at times to load a web page......

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
:welcome: SKOOTERBUM
Couple of possible causes insufficient power supply, overheating, bad drivers and incompatible BIOS for the replacement CPU.
What is the brand and output of the PSU?
My first suggestion is to remove the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 add on card to see if the PC will run with the extra power available, for the heat possibility ensure that your CPU and any case fans are working correctly + are you confident that the correct amount of TIM was applied between the CPU and heatsink, see the tutorial provided courtesy of Digerati @ http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/ if you can get the PC running without issues check for any driver updates http://www.ecs.com.t...nuID=24&LanID=0 at present leave the BIOS well alone other than to clear the CMOS by removing the CR2032 battery on the MB, this will restore the factory default settings so on first boot you will need to access the BIOS and reset the time and date then save and exit, do this when you remove the video card, post back when you have done this.

Battery .jpeg courtesy of rshaffer61 :thumbsup:

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
phillpower2, thanks for responding to my post !!

this is my second attempt at replying to your post. i did as suggested, and my pc is still locking up. i was in the middle of responding to your post, and my pc locked up and i lost everything i wrote. i only had one page open, if that info helps in any way.

i have a 480w psu.

i removed the nvidia card.

i removed the mb battery, then reinstalled it. i may have put it back in to soon, because the time and date were correct when i went into bios to reset them.

i read throught the link about installing cpu's, and applying the tim.

i'm going to replace my new cpu with the old one, so i can respond to you without loosing everything again.

very frustrating.

be back tomorrow eve

thanks,
ron

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Reply when you can and when you are ready, I will always respond as soon as I am able, as will others :thumbsup:

SKOOTERBUM

SKOOTERBUM

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
well, i'm finally back online. it's amazing how much we rely on these things anymore. i was lost without it !!

anyways, i ended up replacing my old system with another old system that is working better than what i had, and i am able to use the new parts that i put into my old system into this one. so at least i didn't waste my money.

i concluded that the motherboard was going bad on the other system causing my problems. which is why i purchased this one for cheap.

i have some questions about this "new old system" i have now, and will post them in the appropriate section......i hope..

thanks,
ron