Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Invalid Partition Table

• Please log in to reply

Dezi100

Dezi100

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,
I'm sure this will be a simple fix..... if unlike me you know what your doing.
I wanted to do a clean reload of win 7 on my desktop, didn't have anything left on it to worry about so put the dvd in and when the "Boot from CD/DVD" prompt came up I just hit enter and every thing progresed as normal. I have dome this many times before without any problems.
After adding all the requested info in the screens when asked, country, keyboard and such the system finished installing as usual but when the computer re-started the boot process stoped with "Invalid Partition Table" and a flashing curser.....
Now what??

Edited by Dezi100, 19 January 2012 - 05:53 PM.

Advertisements

Dezi100

Dezi100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Furter to the last post.... I unplugged everything but the DVD drive (slave) and the HDD (master)
and formatted the drive and started again, even changed the conecting cables. But still have the same result.

Dezi100

Dezi100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
OK,
in the absence of any other input so far, and after reading what seems like millions of other peoples problems and fixes, I've gone for a Boot'n'Nuke.... 5Hrs to go.... hopefully then I'll just have to re-install th OS as usual from the Win7 DVD. If it works then fine but I would like to know what caused this in the first instance to make sure I don't do it again :-)

Edited by Dezi100, 20 January 2012 - 01:40 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like your partition is the problem and not the OS.
When you say you reinstalled it looks like from what you said you formatted and reinstalled?
I suggest you start from scratch and delete all partitions and reset the partition. Then format using NTFS normal and not the quick format. Then install the OS fresh.
BTW FYI when you respond to your own topic as you have twice it looks like someone is helping you and that may be the reason you are not receiving any assistance. In the future I would suggest editing your original post with updates so that only the original post shows on the replies we see. We always look for topics with no replies first. :thumbsup:

Dezi100

Dezi100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
"rshaffer61" Thanks for the input, like I said... unlike me other people know what their doing :-)
I'll give that a try as soon as the Daril's done.

Thanks once again Dezi100

Edited by Dezi100, 20 January 2012 - 04:19 PM.

Dezi100

Dezi100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
When the "boot'n'nuke program finished I tried to load the system again and all went fine untill it came to the "Where do you want to install windows" page. It shows the two drives, Disk O Unallocated space 111.8 GB, and Disk 1 Unallocated space 149.0 GB. I highlighted Disk O and clicked on "Next". A message came up on the bottom of the page which said:- Windows cannot be installed to this disk (show details)
When I clicked on the "show details" a message box opened which said:-
Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

This struck me as a bit odd... this system was running on this computer fine before I tride a clean re-load and I havent altered anything in the BIOS... ??

Edited by Dezi100, 21 January 2012 - 06:40 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can use this tutorial HERE to do a Clean Install of Win 7.

Dezi100

Dezi100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Did that but when it gets to pressing the "Format" icon nothing happens...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have 2 physical drives in the system or just one with 2 partitions on it?

Dezi100

Dezi100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
There are two actual drives, "C" 120Gb and "D" 160Gb.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you see this in step 7?

7. Select the hard drive or partition that you want to install Windows 7 on and click on the Drive Options (advanced) link. (See screenshot below)
NOTE: If the hard drive or partition that you have selected is unallocted, then you can just click on the Next button instead and go to step 9 since it is already empty.
WARNING: You may not have the Drive options (advanced) option unless the installation is done at boot, and not running the installation from within your current OS.

Dezi100

Dezi100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yes I saw that... all that happens when I click on "Next" is a yellow triangle with a "!" in it appears and a message that says:-
Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition

Edited by Dezi100, 21 January 2012 - 09:15 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are booting to the cdrom right?

Dezi100

Dezi100

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Think so.. its the same way I've always done it when it worked.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this is strange. It is identifying both drives but it won't partition the main one.
Try this, disconnect the second hard drive and then reboot. See if it will then setup the partition as that seems to be the issue right now.