Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP OfficeJet J4540 suddenly won't print (referred from malware fo

• Please log in to reply

Pat Williams

Pat Williams

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Here's how this all started.

Now, I can't print. I've done all the troubleshooters, uploaded new drivers, and still nothing. The initial problem appeared to be a driver issue, but after uploading the new drivers now the HPPDU says there's no connectivity.

Jintan referred me here. Thanks for any help you can give me. I haven't been able to find the original disk anywhere. :(

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Hi Pat Williams
Installing and uninstalling printers can be a complete pain as it needs to be done correctly and can be time consuming.
If you do not remove all of the previous printer software or you have the printer connected to the PC before being prompted to then the printer will not install correctly, Dell PCs can also be difficult with other branded drivers at the best of times.

My suggestion is that you remove all printer software from your computer and use the HP uninstaller if there is one available, shutdown the PC, disconnect the USB cable, reboot, install the printer software and only connect the printers USB cable when you receive an onscreen message telling you to do so, hopefully this will resolve the issue but if not try another USB port or data cable.

I haven't been able to find the original disk anywhere

There may be a Driver Reset Tool application installed on your system, if you need to reinstall a driver when you boot up try pressing Ctrl + F11, this may not be present on PCs that were provided with an actual restore CD, other options;

Click Start, All Programs, Dell Accessories, Driver Reset Tool or Click Start, Run type in C:\dell\utilities\driver reset then click OK

Pat Williams

Pat Williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
When I get to the plug in page on the reinstall, it doesn't seem to see the printer at all. It's like I didn't even plug it in. I've tested the port with other plug in devices and the port works fine.

I am going to buy a new USB cable and see if that's the issue. I did the driver reset tool and it said "no errors detected" ... is that what it's supposed to do?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

I am going to buy a new USB cable and see if that's the issue.

Any joy?

I did the driver reset tool and it said "no errors detected" ... is that what it's supposed to do?

Yes but it only reports on installed or bad drivers.

Pat Williams

Pat Williams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Brand new cable, still can't tell it's plugged in... :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Check the Device Manager to see if the device is listed under Printers, if it is make sure that it is checked as the default printer + if there are other printers listed there that you do not use remove them from the list.
Let us know the results.