Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New build-wont power on

• Please log in to reply

Hannah Melissa Bowles

Hannah Melissa Bowles

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, so this is my first build and I'm very frustrated right now.

I put everything together according to all manuals/online guides I've read. But when I finally got it all hooked up and went to push the power button-nothing. I checked everything was plugged in properly, psu switched on, plugged in to wall, etc etc. still nothing. So, I disconnected the front panel switches and bridged the power switch pins with a screwdriver. I got power long enough for the LEDs to flash and the fans spin a few times, then it stopped. It does this every time. I tried putting a different psu in, did not help. I then replaced the mobo thinking it might be shorted, still the same thing. I also tried disconnecting everything except cpu/heatsink, graphics card, one stick of ram. still, cpu fan spins a few times then nothing. any idea what this could be? bad component or could i be doing something wrong?

specs:
LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996770
MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) AM3+ AMD 760G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAKX 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC
GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA Series GV-R685OC-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX
AMD Athlon II X4 645 Propus 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX645WFGMBOX
ZALMAN Z9 Plus Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Hi Hannah, Posted Image

From looking at the steps you have taken, the most likely cause is a short under the Mobo.

Unplug from the wall socket and take anti static measures, (TASM).

You will need to remove the Mobo, again, and place it on a piece of cardboard larger than the board.

Check the stand-offs attached to the Mobo mounting plate. there must be the same number of stand-offs, in the same pattern, as the screw holes in the Mobo, (NO EXTRA ONES) remove extra or reposition as necessary.
Check there are no loose screws or pieces of wire.

Let us know the result.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts
Hi.

Still waiting for a reply from you. Did you fix the problem?