Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Root File

• Please log in to reply

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
If I pulled the important data off this hard drive, could I just install a different hard drive, load windows from the recovery CD, replace the important data as well, and just use the new hard drive or is this situation more complicated than that?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
See if the recovery CD is a reinstallation CD if so you may be able to repair XP as per this

http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

OR if there is space on the C drive you can do a parallel install of XP
Parallel install

Method 4: Install Windows XP to a new folder (parallel installation)
This method describes how to install Windows XP to a new folder (parallel installation) to either run two operating systems, or to access, repair, or retrieve data from a damaged disk.

Before you start, start your computer by using one of the following media:
  • Microsoft Windows 98/Windows Millennium Edition startup disk
  • Windows XP CD or Windows XP boot disks

Note The Windows XP CD is the preferred media in the following steps. However, the Windows XP boot disks will work if you do not have the CD.
To install Windows XP to a new folder (also known as a parallel installation), follow these steps:
  • Start your computer from the Windows XP CD (or boot disks). To do this, insert the Windows XP CD into your CD or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
  • When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message appears on the screen, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD.
  • At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to begin Windows XP Setup.
  • Read the Microsoft Software License Terms, and then press F8.
  • Select the partition in which you want to install Windows XP, and then press ENTER.
  • Select the Leave the current file system intact (no changes) option, and then press ENTER to continue.
  • Press ESC to install to a different folder.

If the Setup program detects another operating system folder, it prompts you to type the name for the new folder after the backslash (\), for example, \WINXP. If there are no other operating systems detected, the Setup program automatically names the folder \Windows. For more information about how to change the folder name on new installations, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 315242 (http://support.micro....com/kb/315242/ ) How to designate the original folder name for a reinstallation of Windows XP
  • Press ENTER to continue.
  • Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Windows XP Setup.

It all depends on what exactly is the CD you have

It also depends on the computer you have as you may find there is a soft recovery option -

You will not be able with our exact proposal to save the programs.

THAT was a quick jump from all I sent you to try.

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
First, in reference to replacing the hard drive, I was just interested if this was a viable option. It crossed my mind so I decided to send it to find out what you thought.

The repair instructions using the recovery disc worked to get this machine working again. Thanks very much.

I noticed that when I tried to open a program from the ALL PROGRAMS folder that it would say that there was a problem with this shortcut. Also, when I opened the ADD or REMOVE PROGRAMS folder,all the previously installed programs weren't listed. They are listed under Program Files on the C: drive but won't open from the ALL PROGRAMS folder. Can you give some wisdom how to access these previously installed programs?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Your first task is, if you have not already done so, to install Service Packs and all critical updates.

2. I am sure you have covered it but do not of course forget, to install an A/V program

3. Are your documents etc accessible.

4. Right click an entry in the all programs list to which this problem applies then click properties, check the Location is C:\ Documents and Settings\All users\Start Menu\Programs. OR note what it is.

5. Now go to C\: Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs see if that program that has the problem, is listed there. (IT will not of course be the actual program files, as those are of course in
C:\ Programs Files.) - OR go to where the location WAS listed

6. If for instance the program listed in the ALL PROGRAM - list is shown on the right click and properties as the location is C:\Documents and Settings \ BEN (as an example Original installation} \Start Menu \ Programs
or whereever and you now have a Documents and Settings\ BEN T (again only an example - new installation)

then DRAG and DROP the icon in the original installation BEN to the window of the new installation. - BEN T.

BEFORE YOU START ESTABLISH A RESTORE POINT.

THIS PRESUMES if I have interpreted your post correctly that the program will open from the folder in C:\ Program Files.

You may find it of benefit - if it is XP professional - it does not work in XP Home to go start, run and type
control userpasswords2

(note please the space bwteen control and user.)
when that opens you can see exactly the accounts on the computer
you will see the system admin account listed under administrator - highlight it, click properties. It should then say built in system account. and unless you created one it does not have a password. This is NOT the same account as the Admin Account that you created when you repaired windows.

DO NOT change anything there.

Come out of there and if it is Professional as against HOME then at the log in screen press Ctrl Alt and Delete TWICE and then on the small window that opens you can log in under the User Name -Administrator - leave password blank and then you will, or should have full permissions to do as you wish.

BE CAREFUL - if you do not KNOW exactly what you are doing, I recommend you leave it for further advice.

RE THE missing programs from Add/Remove programs - you may find that this is rectified when you fix the other matter - that is the subject of most of this post.
If not we can address that later.

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks. That is all I need. The machine is running well. My friend will be very happy to get his computer back. Thank you very much for your help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That was quick.
Sorry you had to wait a bit did not start until late.
Had a problem with a DIY job in the house.

Do you mean you have done it - or thks and you will let me know how it goes.

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
This is where I am. I have installed service pack and all critical updates. Security program is active. I have all the document, pictures, and desktop data.

This is the main problem my friend was having when his computer started with that error message. He was trying to create an additional partition for whatever reason. In computer management, there is an FAT32 unknown partition with the capacity of 3.10 GB. It doesn't display a drive letter, in fact, it's blocked out.

In the display window below, it gives a graphic picture of drive C: with 71.39 GB NTFS Healthy (System) and 3.10 GB FAT32 Healthy (Unknown System).

Under local disk (C:) Properties, it just displays one local disk, File system NTFS, used space 64.4 GB and free space 6.95. The capacity of this disk is 71.3GB.

There are a couple of important software programs he needs which is Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop CS3. They are outdated but he doesn't have the money to upgrade. (That is why I am working on his computer. I don't charge for my help.) When I try to load them from the program files, it gives me this message, "Licensing for this product has stopped working. You cannot use this product at this time. You must repair the problem by uninstalling and then reinstalling this product or contacting your IT administrator or Adobe customer support for help."

Another problem is that he doesn't have the Adobe cd's anymore. He says thay were functional before this issue with his computer.

Edited by Ben T, 24 January 2012 - 11:18 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

3.10 GB FAT32 Healthy (Unknown System).

It is the recovery partition. Normally accessible on an F key - most likely F10 or F11 go online and consult the manual for the computer.

used space 64.4 GB and free space 6.95

You are drastically low on free space always maintain an absolute minimum of 10%

3.I still do not understand why he was attempting to create an additional partition. If a drive is running out of free space, there is nothing to be gained by creating a partition. As you know it does not in any way solve the basic problem.

The problem is SPACE, so you need to uninstall programs he does not WANT and if necessary install another drive and move his documents, images and audio files to the other drive, or to an external on which he can then also backup his internal drive. Remember that an image is a backup, but a backup is not in itself an image.
So whilst a backup will allow him to recover data easily if the hard drive were to crash you would be back in the situation you were when we started.

Whereas with an image of everything you simply then start again by recovering the image, either to a new drive or to the exisiting one if all other attempts at recovery fail.

4. Were the Adobe products full licensed products. If so run this

Solution 1: Apply the Licensing Service Update.
  • Close all Adobe applications.
  • Download the Licensing Service Update.
  • Run the License Service Update:
    • Extract the LicenseRecovery109.zip.
      Important: Use a utility such as WinZip to extract the contents on the zipped file.
    • Double-click LicenseRecover.exe.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions.
  • Start your Adobe application.

HOWEVER you may be asked fior the license details.
IF THAT DOES NOT work DO this.

Solution 2: Set the FLEXnet Licensing Service to Manual and start the service.
  • Choose Start > Control Panel.
  • Double-click Administrative Tools.
  • Double-click Services.
  • Double-click the FLEXnet Licensing Service to open the Properties dialog box.
  • Click the Startup Type menu, and then select Manual.
  • Click Apply.
  • In the Services Status section, click Start to start the service.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.
  • Close all open dialogs.
  • Launch your Adobe application.

Note: If you receive the error, "Error 5, access denied," when you try to start the FLEXnet Licensing Service, do the following:

• Choose Start > Run and type services.msc.
  • Double-click the FLEXnet Licensing Service.
  • Click the Log-On tab and select Log On As: This Account, and specify your account.
  • Click OK and close the Services window.
  • Restart the system, and repeat Solution 2.
IF THAT does not work DO this

Solution 3: Rename the FLEXnet folder.
Rename the FLEXnet folder to FLEXnetold in the following location:

• On Windows XP:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\FLEXnet
CHECK THAT YOU HAVE THAT Folder in all users.
To view application data, on the My Computer window, click tools, click folder options, click the view tab and scroll to Show Hidden files and folder, click to check that.
The one above will be checked - Do not Show.
Then scroll to Hide Protected Operating system files and uncheck that - agree the warning message and click apply and OK.

5. XP Home or Professional please as the next step if the above does not work differs according to the O/S

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I will talk with him about creating more space on his hard drive and see what happens.

Edited by Ben T, 24 January 2012 - 12:10 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So are we still working on this OR is the issue solved please, and the computer to be handed back to him.

Are you going to try the suggestions re the Adobe products?

Is it professional or home.

He says thay were functional before this issue with his computer.

Well you are helping HIM free of charge - he should be grateful he has a system that will even load Windows - should he NOT?

Advertisements

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
We are still working on his computer. I will trying out your suggestions about Adobe now. His computer has Windows Home Edition.

Yes, he is grateful that his machine is now operational, thanks to you.

I will get back to you after I try your suggestions for his Adobe software.

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Solution 1 for Adobe licensing worked. He has access to these programs again.

Another issue is returning all his programs to appear in his Add or Remove Program folder. The only ones that are listed are the upgrades or installations I performed while fixing his machine. How can I get all of them back into this folder.

The Adobe programs that were relicensed do not show up here. I installed Revo Uninstaller and it as well doesn't display the older software that is still on this machine.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Are the programs that do NOT appear in Add/Remove programs, in C:\Program Files and are they all accessible from there.

Are the programs that were not previously listed on the Start - All programs NOW there.

and in C:\Documents and Settings\Users which Users exists there.

Which version of IE was installed before and which is NOW.
Update IE to whatever was in use before., on IE click on Help, click About Internet Explorer

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Yes, all the programs missing in the add/remove program are in C:\Program Files. There are a lot of programs there. Some are accessible, some are not.

No, there are still programs missing in ALL PROGRAMS. The Adobe programs that we just worked on, are not there.

In C:\Documents and Settings, there are 6 users, 3 listed as administrators and 3 guests.

IE 8 was on it and that's what is on it now.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. How many accounts are in User Accounts in Control panel
and have you tried signing in on those accounts -

2. Run a chkdsk /r and then post me the results please a s a copy and paste from the winlogon entry in Control Panel events, applications., When you have the chkdsk results in the winlogon entry click once on the double page symbol to the right of the window, next to the broad up and down arrows.
Then right click and paste.