Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SD card not recognised

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
My new SD card was initially recog. in my PC, moving a file to My Docs. Subsequently putting it in again it wasn't.

Going to my laptop, 3 other cards were not recog. I then used a cheap external USB card reader and all cards were recognised so the PC and laptop drivers are OK. It would seem the internal card slots could be defective but I have hardly ever used them. or could this be the reason? But on both computers?

Can anyone please explain what could be going on?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
In respect of the computer that originally recognised it, the issue is probably separate issue.

In respect of the laptop if the slot is SD as against SDHC it will onyl generally recognise cards up to 2gb.
SD and SDHC specifications
The initial SD card specification defined the interface for cards only up to 2GB capacity. The subsequent SDHC specification was developed to provide increased capacity of 4GB – 32GB cards. Computers and other products purchased before 2008 may not be SDHC compatible. Computers and other products purchased before 2007 are not SDHC compatible.

Posted ImageVerifying the card reader slot
If the card reader slot on your computer does not have the SDHC logo, it is most likely not SDHC compatible and will only read cards up to 2GB capacity.

If your computer's card reader is not SDHC compatible, see if is a firmware update for your model that will make it SDHC compatible.

The other option is as you have done, or of course if the card WAS in a camera etc connect that via USB (I appreciate that in your case, I presume it was NOT a card from other euipment.)

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thanks for your considered response. My late reply due to hacking flu, being in bed so not online for a week and also your reply was sitting in my spam folder (a first for G2G)so not seen till now.

I didn't know about the 2GB limit for SD and the expanded SDHC. My largest card is 2GB but there must have been another glitch as although I tried putting them in many times without success the next day I tried again with the same cards in both computers and they were accepted straight away!

So what was the matter remains a mystery but all is well at least for now.

So thanks again for trying to help me out and for that SD info.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting the reply
Could have done without the flu, no doubt.
In view of the fact it is now working OK, the decision is yours, but I would run a chkdsk /f on C drive presuming that is the drive carrying windows
You may do this by right clicking the drive in my computer or computer if you are on Vista or 7, open that from the start menu.
Then right click and click properties, then tools, then error checking, then check now, the box check for file system errors should already have a check mark in it.
Click start, agree the message to run on restart and do so.
It is a three stage check, please do not interrupt it.
The computer will reboot after it has completed.

If you decide to do this, post back after completion if you do not see the results, there will always be a cleaning of minor inconsistencies and unused entries in security descriptions, what you are looking for is file system errors.
When you post back if you do not know how, I will send you how to find the results.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I did the error checking on an unrelated laptop,to try it out, which went thru the 3 phases and got to the Check completed. No other message and it didn't reboot.

Did the same with my netbook of the SD glitch with the same result - check completed, no other message and did not reboot. Does this mean nothing is wrong and why no reboot as you indicated should happen?

Anything else I should do?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
How to run Chkdsk from My Computer or from Windows Explorer
  • Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
  • Click Properties, and then click Tools.
  • Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
  • Use one of the following procedures:
  • To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
  • To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start.
  • To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message: The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.I think you have it correct.
To obtain the results you go to Control panel Administrative tools, Event Viewer and then if Xp on the left pane Application and then on the main window click once on the column heading source. Winlogon entries will now be at the top or the bottom depending on how it was last set.
The winlogon entry or one of them will be the chkdsk results.
Double click the winlogon entry to open them.
If you HAVE any doubt about the results simply click once on the double page symbol , below the up and down arrows and then right click and paste the results.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Thank you for those instructions - Practising on my non SD laptop (can't have every computer running), I have got to the Event viewer(Local)and clicked on Application which revealed more than 1000 entries with a few marked 'Warning' all being ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0 and some marked 'Error'.

I have opened a few of these which reveal seemingly no real problems but now that I see how to run this procedure I'll do the same on my PC and netbook soon and paste to you some of the results for your comments.

I have never been in this area before - very interesting.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
then on the main window click once on the colume heading source. Winlogon entries will now be at the top or the bottom depending on how it was last set

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
On my laptop (NTFS file system, 19GB of C drive used of 20GB usable drive), the 3 stages took about 3 minutes last night to complete. On my PC of the SD glitch (FAT 32 file system, 19GB used of 72GB drive), stage 2 took exactly 1 hour - why so? (On another PC of 500GB drive 20GB used and NTFS system it took about 2 minutes to get to stage 4 which is still going after half an hour - the others didn't appear to get to stage 4}

I paste (clicking on double page symbol and pasting from the clipboard) below 1 item of a number of items marked with ! in yellow triangle. This doesn't seem tell me much. Are more items needed for analysis?

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: WinMgmt
Event Category: None
Event ID: 63
Date: 04/11/2011
Time: 17:49:33
User:
Computer:
Description:
A provider, WinRMProv, has been registered in the WMI namespace, root, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.

Clicking on this link gets to 'this resource cannot be found'.

Just pushed in a SD card and it was recognised immediately - so no problem then? The other errors (mostly of the date 2003 just before I bought this computer) marked in this analysis presumably are minor and are not perceptibly interfering with the computer function would you say?

Thanks for any comments or more advice on what I have done or could do more. I have yet to do all this on my netbook.

Edited by Plutox, 29 January 2012 - 09:43 AM.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Here's another result - note the Event Source is exactly the same as I found on my laptop last night - seems a very common entry.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0
Event Category: Setup
Event ID: 1020
Date: 25/10/2011
Time: 15:10:41
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
Updates to the IIS metabase were aborted because IIS is either not installed or is disabled on this machine. To configure ASP.NET to run in IIS, please install or enable IIS and re-register ASP.NET using aspnet_regiis.exe /i.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are with respect NOT doing as I ask
See my previous post. 6.

It is the chkdsk results I want.
They are on the Winlogon entries.

Here is HOW again

Obtaining CHKDSK Results

• Once Event Viewer is open, select Application
  • The 4th column of information in the right-hand pane is titled Source , click on the word Source at the top of the column to sort by that column
  • Scroll through the Source column to find the most recent entry titled Winlogon
  • Double-click Winlogon to open the CHKDSK results
On a separate issue and I can only work on ONE computer at a time, otherwise it becomes too confusing if you MEAN that laptop has a 20Gb hard drive and you have ONLY 1Gb of free space, it is no wonder you are having problems. On a 20 Gb drive 2Gb is the ABSOLUTE minimum of free space. VERY soon you will be lucky if it will even load windows.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Sorry about the extraneous material - I couldn't find Winlogon before. Below is the result from my netbook (123GB free) Only 1 Winlogon entry listed.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1002
Date: 20/10/2011
Time: 15:40:55
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

This link says no user action required.

I hope this is what is required but doesn't relate to the SD non recognition does it, particularly the 2011 date?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Plutox, NO it is not the chkdsk results -
Go to another winlogon, this time make sure please it is the chkdsk results.
It will not be the most recent NOW of course., when you open the winlogon by double clicking it - IF it does not say chkdsk it is NOT chkdsk

HAVE I just realised the problem - we are I thought obtaining the chkdsk results from the computer on which you RAN the chkdsk.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
To reassure you that I was using the SD glitch computer I did mention the 'result' came from my netbook.

Now following your instructions viz. 'Scroll through the Source column to find the most recent entry titled Winlogon Double-click Winlogon to open the CHKDSK results'.

The use of the plural resultS did indicate a problem seeing only the one 'result' by double clicking Winlogon in the Source column and it being only a one off fortuitous entry which in other circumstances needn't have been there at all which would result in not a single Winlogon entry. I thought that this indicated that this was not what was wanted but finding no other mention of the word Winlogon anywhere else and not wishing to add more extraneous material in explanation I pasted what I got.

You ask for me to go to another Winlogon - I cannot find another mention of the word - obviously it must be somewhere - please be more specific but if you have been I can't see that I have another.

If you wish to give up on this please do so.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
A point to tell you how I got that Winlogon result I posted. Following your instruction - 'Scroll down thru the Source column to find the most recent entry titled Winlogon. Dbl. click to open CHKDSK results.'

This was done and pasted.