Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SD card not recognised

• Please log in to reply

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
A point to tell you how I got that Winlogon result I posted. Following your instruction - 'Scroll down thru the Source column to find the most recent entry titled Winlogon. Dbl. click to open CHKDSK results.'

This was done and pasted.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Plutox

No I do not want to give up that is not my style

Plutox, NO it is not the chkdsk results -
Go to another winlogon, this time make sure please it is the chkdsk results.
It will not be the most recent NOW of course., when you open the winlogon by double clicking it - IF it does not say chkdsk it is NOT chkdsk

Look for the winlogon entry dated the DAY you ran the chkdsk

when you FIRST RAN CHKDSK it would have been the last - the most recent - winlogon entry as the instructions in my post 6.

To obtain the results you go to Control panel Administrative tools, Event Viewer and then if Xp on the left pane Application and then on the main window click once on the column heading source. Winlogon entries will now be at the top or the bottom depending on how it was last set.
The winlogon entry or one of them will be the chkdsk results.
Double click the winlogon entry to open them.

FROM which your post 7 in reply

Thank you for those instructions - Practising on my non SD laptop (can't have every computer running), I have got to the Event viewer(Local)and clicked on Application which revealed more than 1000 entries with a few marked 'Warning' all being ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0 and some marked 'Error'.

indicates that you had NOT read the guidance - WINLOGON

I can ONLY suggest that if you STILL cannot find it, you run it AGAIN and then look.

IN AN ATTEMPT to help you further here is an extract from a Microsoft article but it says nothing that I have not already told you

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.
A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box enter:
%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc
Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.
Look in the Application log for an event sourced by Winlogon, something like:
Event Type: Information
Event Source: WinlogonEvent
Category: NoneEvent ID: 1001
Date: 8/4/2010Time: 11:25:57
AMDescription:Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.
Youmay cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommendedthat you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...Usn Journal verification completed.
39070048 KB total disk space.
28017948 KB in 100571 files.
56540 KB in 10556 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
236440 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
10759120 KB available on disk.
4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
9767512 total allocation units on disk.
2689780 allocation units available on disk.
Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts

AND in an attmept to convince you that they are there - PROVIDING you are using Windows XP as I said in my first post on the chkdsk matter
Please see this, from just ONE of the topics on which I have recently provided assistance and these results have been obtained.
http://www.geekstogo...le/page__st__30

Post 31 and 32 refer.

Plutox

Plutox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
An example of what a CHKDSK result looks like would have been useful earlier. It also seems that my previous attempts were correct as no wrong procedure on my part was noted.

Now note this result which is the format required, yes?

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 21 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 21 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 21 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.

488375968 KB total disk space.
45895216 KB in 89243 files.
31352 KB in 10901 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
200104 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
442249296 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
122093992 total allocation units on disk.
110562324 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
f0 c6 01 00 3a 87 01 00 f0 25 02 00 00 00 00 00 ....:....%......
73 02 00 00 02 00 00 00 51 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 s.......Q.......
04 7c d7 07 00 00 00 00 4c 65 70 15 00 00 00 00 .|......Lep.....
d6 79 07 0d 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .y..............
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 d2 7e 4b 31 00 00 00 00 .........~K1....
70 fd a8 a7 00 00 00 00 98 38 07 00 9b 5c 01 00 p........8...\..
00 00 00 00 00 c0 38 f1 0a 00 00 00 95 2a 00 00 ......8......*..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Don't get too excited - this is NOT from my netbook but from my extraneous PC. Completing the procedure exactly as I had done on my netbook I got 5 Winlogon entries. 4 of them were the Explorer.exe restarted and the 5th gave the above result.

(The computer did not restart)

As I said on the result from my netbook there was only ONE Winlogon result which gave the result as posted, an Explorer restart.

Now why there was not a Winlogon entry giving info. as above I don't know - did you not consider this possibility? Does this indicate another glitch?
I have repeated the procedure on the netbook 3 times with the same result.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

An example of what a CHKDSK result looks like would have been useful earlier. It also seems that my previous attempts were correct as no wrong procedure on my part was noted.

Now why there was not a Winlogon entry giving info. as above I don't know - did you not consider this possibility?

In respect of your first quote, I did not think it was necessary to send YOU what the results of a chkdsk looked like, until it became apparent that you were having so much difficulty finding them.

In respect of your second one - YES I did, I was of the opinion that you were NOT looking at the correct winlogon entry. There are other winlogon entries besides chkdsk

Of course as I have said all along - this applies to XP. On Vista the chkdsk results are listed under the source heading Wininit

HOWEVER that is all now a little irrelevant, as with great regret I have decided that I cannot work with you.

I wish you the best of luck with the situation and if in any respect you feel unhappy with the advice you have received from me, you may perfectly correctly click on the REPORT button on the left hand corner of your post and ask for a review by a Senior Staff member. All you have to do is to indicate on the submission on the REPORT
what aspect you are unhappy with.