Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hi all

• Please log in to reply

Senia Francois

Senia Francois

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi i am needing help to allow internet browsing on laptop on a wifi connection
My laptop piks up wifi no prob jus not able to chek emails or browse internet

Advertisements

cptnshakenbake

cptnshakenbake

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
If your laptop is picking up the wireless signal your router should have a key (password) to connect you to it and provide your access to the internet and internal network. This is an encrypted key that prevents unwanted user on your network. This key is located on the router and can be changed if you want. Refer to your owners manual on location of the key and instructions on how to modify the key.
1. Right click on the wireless icon next to the time
2. From the menu chose view available wireless networks
3. From the list chose your wireless router
4. There should be a connect option
5. When you click connect it will ask you for the key. If you still have the instruction manual of the router it will tell you where to locate that key. Once you enter in that key it will authenticate and then provide you with a connection to the internet
Hope this helps
:thumbsup:

cptnshakenbake

cptnshakenbake

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
If your laptop is picking up the wireless signal your router should have a key (password) to connect you to it and provide your access to the internet and internal network. This is an encrypted key that prevents unwanted user on your network. This key is located on the router and can be changed if you want. Refer to your owners manual on location of the key and instructions on how to modify the key.
1. Right click on the wireless icon next to the time
2. From the menu chose view available wireless networks
3. From the list chose your wireless router
4. There should be a connect option
5. When you click connect it will ask you for the key. If you still have the instruction manual of the router it will tell you where to locate that key. Once you enter in that key it will authenticate and then provide you with a connection to the internet
Hope this helps

Senia Francois

Senia Francois

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Fanks i will gve it a shot

Senia Francois

Senia Francois

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi still unable to browse internet and chek emails its frustrating since laptop connects automatically to wifi pocket

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Senia Francois and :welcome:

Good advice from cptnshakenbake, had you installed any new software or hardware previous to this happening?

First thing I suggest is flushing the DNS Cache "how to" below;

1.Press the Windows key then type in cmd (do not hit enter)
2.In the search results that come up, right click “cmd” and run as administrator, when the screen flashes and asks for permission, accept it.
3.In the command prompt type in ipconfig /flushdns (or right click and paste it to the command prompt) then press Enter.
You should then see a dialog box saying successfully flushed resolver cache, if so you are done post back with an update.

cptnshakenbake

cptnshakenbake

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you Phill and good call on the DNS Flush. Another thing I have seen with wireless connections is issue with preinstalled Wireless assistant programs that come with laptops. I choose to not use those and rely on Windows wireless. If you are using one of the pre-installed programs I suggest disabling it and use windows to connect to a wireless network. If you need assistance in disabling the software and using Windows to connect to wireless please provide the utility that is being used in order to assist.
Hope that helps

Senia Francois

Senia Francois

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hii
Did the flush still no joy

Senia Francois

Senia Francois

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi
No wireless assistant I rely on windows to connect

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Please post a screenshot of your Network and Sharing centre (edit out any personal details first)

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :thumbsup: