Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unexpected shut down

• Please log in to reply

mclimbin

mclimbin

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi all,
Can you help me figure out why Windows 7 shut down unexpectedly? I got this message after restarting:

Any ideas?

mc

ps: I tried to attach the .dmp file but windows wouldn't let me open it...I thought I WAS the administrator...

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF80003397E6E
BCP3: FFFFF880041855E0
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\012012-20404-01.dmp
C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-4621529-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft....88&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we may be able to help BUT you need to explain in more detail exactly what is happening...
what were you doing prior to shutting down last time

tell us everything you tried to fix the problem and what the results were...

did you add any new hardware or software recently...
get any updates for windows or any software just prior to the problem...
what is the make and model of your computer...
what are your system specs...

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

we may be able to help BUT you need to explain in more detail exactly what is happening...
what were you doing prior to shutting down last time

It has happened 3 times that I know of. The first two times were when I was not in the room, the computer was running. This third time I was writing an email with a couple of firefox windows open, as well as itunes. I was not able to get a screen shot of the text that came up on the black screen after shutting down, but the first couple of words said "memory problem" or something like that. Why does that screen disappear so quickly? It's frustrating.

tell us everything you tried to fix the problem and what the results were...

I followed the directions at this link:
http://answers.micro...65-adf53e75b155

did you add any new hardware or software recently...

Yes, everything is new. I just built the system myself about two weeks ago.

get any updates for windows or any software just prior to the problem...

no, not that I know of

what is the make and model of your computer...

Motherboard: Asus p8Z68-v Gen 3 Version 1.xx
CPU: Intel Core i&-2600k
RAM: Patriot DDR3 1600 EL series (two of these , one in slot 2, one in slot 4, total of 8 gbs ram)
GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 560 Ti driver 285.62

While I was typing this, the screen went blank and came back on again, and then I got a message that the graphics driver failed and recovered...

Thanks for your help.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try updating the GTX 560 Ti driver...
nojoy
try a different driver (older)

what power supply do you have...

nojoy

Please download VEW the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso from here and save it to your Desktop...
Double-click VEW.exe
Under 'Select log to query...put ticks in both application and system
Under 'Select type to list... select both error and critical
Click the radio button for 'Number of events...Type 5 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.

Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks for the suggestions.

The PSU is an OCZTech 750w. I once got a message the power supply was unstable. I think it's either the PSU or maybe the memory, but those are just the guesses of a noob. Is there some way to check the stability of the power supply?

I updated the driver for the video card.
From here: http://www.zotac.com...=100032&lang=en

It's the same driver that I had before, but maybe re-installing it will help. I'm not sure where to go to get an old driver. Maybe from the installation disk?

I tried to run the VEW but there was no output in the notepad window--it was blank. Am I doing something wrong? Notepad noticed that it could not find the C:\vew.txt file, and asked me if I wanted to create a new file. If I said yes or no, the file ended up blank. Any suggestions?

I'll get back to you in a few days if it restarts by itself again with the re-installed driver.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
we'll be here... :P

Is there some way to check the stability of the power supply?

there are psu testers but if the problem is intermittent it probably won't help us

lets see if speedfan will give us more info...get it here
run it and post a screenshot

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Here is the speedfan info. Not really sure what you are looking for...

ps: had another BSOD while I was burning memtest86 to a disk to check problems with memory.

speedfan .jpg

Edited by mclimbin, 24 January 2012 - 02:39 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
several of the voltages are real low...
check in the bios and see what it shows for voltages...
how to check here

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Here are two shots of the voltages. The smaller one is the windows utility that comes with the mb. The second is the bios. Not sure why speedfan numbers are so different.

1.24.12 bios monitor.jpg
voltages.jpg

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
that asus monitor will always be the best way to check volts and temps...
speedfan can't keep up with all the new sensors
your temps and voltage is fine...
are you OCing anything...if so go back to defaults...
did you ever get memtest to run for at least 2 hours...
try disconnecting everything except your keyboard,mouse and monitor...then run it as you normally would

Advertisements

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Here are the results from the memtest I ran last night. I will take your advice and disconnect everything and run it again tonight.

IMG_0241.JPG

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you ran memtest for 6 hours...no need to run it again...
just use the computer like you normally would

I would like you to run a couple more tools for me...
Please download VEW the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso from here and save it to your Desktop...
Double-click VEW.exe
Under 'Select log to query...put ticks in both application and system
Under 'Select type to list... select both error and critical
Click the radio button for 'Number of events...Type 5 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.

Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply

also download and install WhoCrashed from http://www.softpedia...oCrashed.shtml' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>here..
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

click on it...then run...then next...put a tick in accept...then next..put a tick in the don't create a start menu folder..then next...put a tick in create a desktop icon..then install.. then make sure there is a tick in launch whocrashed...then finish...then click Analyze ...

if you get a message
This software requires the right version of Windows Debugging Tools for your type of computer. Because this is not normally installed and is not redistributable, we suggest you select the download option from below. Then the right package will be downloaded to a temporary folder and the required files will be extracted from the package automatically. You only need to do this once
click on download then try running it again

WhoCrashed will create report...you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply...

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Here is the info from WhoCrashed (yay!)

Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

udfs.sys (UDF File System Driver, Microsoft Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

I have not been able to get VEW to work (see post from 1/22). It runs and then when it is supposed to show the output in notepad it says that it can't find the file and asks if I want to create one.

But maybe the WhoCrashed info is enough?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I prefer you copy the log and post it...
also go to windows update and check for updates

do you have a CD or DVD in the optical drive when you boot up...

The System File Checker is an important application which scans the integrity of all the protected system files

Click Start...type in sfc /scannow...
click on it in the results window above..press Enter...

If any files require replacing SFC will replace them...After the scan is done... Close the command prompt window.

mclimbin

mclimbin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: DESKTOP
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 8563703808 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1974452224

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 1/24/2012 5:03:48 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012312-15553-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7CC40)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFA7F8FE170CD, 0x1, 0xFFFFF88003E318BE, 0x7)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 1/24/2012 5:03:48 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: udfs.sys (udfs+0x318BE)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFFA7F8FE170CD, 0x1, 0xFFFFF88003E318BE, 0x7)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\udfs.sys
description: UDF File System Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.
Google query: udfs.sys Microsoft Corporation PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

On Sat 1/21/2012 10:20:33 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012112-20872-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x403, 0xFFFFF68000076F88, 0xB8D000007F766005, 0xFFFFF680000472A8)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 1/21/2012 1:32:07 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\012012-20404-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF80003397E6E, 0xFFFFF880041855E0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

On Fri 1/13/2012 6:26:03 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011212-39811-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xF4 (0x3, 0xFFFFFA800ABD7B30, 0xFFFFFA800ABD7E10, 0xFFFFF800033D08B0)
Error: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
Bug check description: This indicates that a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

Conclusion

5 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

udfs.sys (UDF File System Driver, Microsoft Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.